Should I put my Flame Angel with my Racoon Butterfly?

Pat24601

I'm also having a real hard time finding a healthy fish . I lost a Pearlscale & Puntata 2 in a row. I'm paranoid as well !

I think you might be talking me into trying a Puntata. I started researching after your comment and seems like a good fish (if I can find a healthy one).

cracker

Both are very beautiful fish. How delicate? I don't know really. Never had a chance to see. I think/hope they were already on the way out when I got them. I did buy a nice raccoon butterfly. Salinity at the shop was super low. Took a week to bring it up & feed the guy. He's in the display as of yesterday . The Copperband chased a little but now seems resigned to his presence . My apologies for no pics, the photobucket thing isn't working for me .
How your fish in observation doing?

Pat24601

Both are very beautiful fish. How delicate? I don't know really. Never had a chance to see. I think/hope they were already on the way out when I got them. I did buy a nice raccoon butterfly. Salinity at the shop was super low. Took a week to bring it up & feed the guy. He's in the display as of yesterday . The Copperband chased a little but now seems resigned to his presence . My apologies for no pics, the photobucket thing isn't working for me .
How your fish in observation doing?

Going well! Everyone looking good and healthy. I have a couple new ones I just picked up. I’m always skeptical about fish for a week or two, so we will see.

Sounds like things are going well with your raccoon! Great to hear.

Pat24601

These are my two new guys. I ordered them online rather than from my LFS because I went to 4 or 5 LFSs around me and none of them had what I wanted. There are a lot of quality stores near me, just don't have the inventory at the moment.

The Auriga is smaller than I expected, but I think that's OK.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that both appear to be pretty healthy (knock on wood). Virtually all of the butterflies I see locally have white spots (lymph or Ich, I guess). I had read that lymph was super common for butterflies, so I didn't necessarily sweat it. But, it's interesting. These two appear fine. I wonder if a local supplier has an issue. I dunno.

IMG_0269.JPG

I'm going to just observe them for a few weeks and see if any problems develop.

Pat24601

Well, I jinxed it. I knew not to post that pic. :).

I woke up this morning and the spotband, Punctato, butterfly fish was dead. He wasn’t eating much, but I figured that was just the new climate. Otherwise he was acting normal, so I’m a little surprised, but not too much. He was shipped from CA and who knows what before that. So, it’s a dice role. He only lasted about 36 hours.

Auriga is eating well and acting normal.

I’m not sure if I’ll replace the Spotband. Really, it was a last second decision because it was either spend that $30 on shipping or spend it on him and get free shipping. But, once I saw him I really liked him. Very pretty fish.

I’ve never seen them in my LFS though. Maybe there is a reason for that. Maybe they die easy like my LFS told me the pearlscale does. I think I’ll ask my LFS what they think.

Anyway, disappointing, but it’s the way these things go sometimes.

Last edited:

cracker

Oh I'm so sorry about the Spotband ! I lost mine about the same way. I will try again . I'll be very pleased if I can keep one alive a year or so ,I think it will live long term. I think it's about their (butterfly's) diet or any fish for that matter. I'm inspired by PaulB & Leebca. Who advocate feeding "whole" seafood.

Last edited:

DaveK

This is one of these you just never know sort of things. Considering it's winter, the fish could have been chilled, or otherwise damaged.

Considering that it's not a super expensive fish and considered easy to keep, I'd consider giving the species another try.

I just wish butterflies were reef safe.

Pat24601

This is one of these you just never know sort of things. Considering it's winter, the fish could have been chilled, or otherwise damaged.

Considering that it's not a super expensive fish and considered easy to keep, I'd consider giving the species another try.

I just wish butterflies were reef safe.

@DaveK ‘s advice is my command. I’ll give it another shot. :)

Maybe I’ll get one of my LFS to order one so it doesn’t have to go across the country in a box, though. Not sure.

DaveK

Well, the fish still goes across the country in a box, only difference is that it's shipped to your LFS instead of you.

The choice is comes down to letting the fish pass through another set of hands, but they take the risk if the fish dies right away, or going directly to you and you assume all the risk.

It might be a good idea to wait a few months until April or May when temps are more moderate.

Pat24601

I talked to my LFS about ordering a Spotband butterfly. They can, of course. Although, it's not a species they typically carry.

However, it was kind of interesting. They were worried the wholesaler won't be able to tell the difference between it and the Sunset Butterflyish, which is extremely difficult to keep alive.

I'm quite sure I couldn't tell the difference. Who knows which one I had, I guess. If we can't trust the fish people to sort it out, I know I can't!!!

I'll try again at some point and hope for the best. Maybe when it's warmer.

------

"If you are getting a 'Dot-and-Dash' Butterflyfish you will definitely want to know which species you are obtaining. Though they look very similar they differ in the degree of difficulty in keeping them. The Spotband Butterflyfish is one of the easier species to maintain, while the Sunset Butterflyfish is quite a challenge. These two also cross breed in the the Western Pacific. The hybrids are collected and shipped on occasion as well, and they too are labeled as the 'Dot-and-Dash' Butterflyfish."

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/butter/SpotbandedButterflyfish.php

Last edited:

Pat24601

I think I can tell the difference now if I’m looking at the right pics on the internet and that’s what they look like in real life. I think I had the right one.

cracker

hello Pat, my lfs has a pearl scale butterfly ! I'm going watch it close for awhile then if it makes it & somebody else doesn't buy it. I will ! I kinda think the spotband is a prettier fish though.
Hope your butterfly's are doing well !

Pat24601

Heya @cracker!!!

Largely because of this conversation, I ended up getting both a Pearlscale AND a Spotband!

In both cases, my LFS (which is awesome) were deliberately feeding them for me for a week or two to make sure they were doing well before I brought them home.

They have been in my tank for about a month now and are doing awesome!!! They are eating absolutely everything including flakes.

So, my tank right now is largely a butterfly tank. Pearlscale, Raccoon, Auriga, and a Spotband. I also have Nemo for the kids and a flamehawk just because.

My Auriga is REALLY tiny. That's on purpose. I don't think I would have bought the other butterflies if my Auriga had been large enough to chase them. I'm hoping if they grow up together I won't get aggression, but if I do I'm prepared to deal with it.

Thanks so much for mentioning your experiences! I wouldn't have done either the Pearlscale or the Spotband if you hadn't brought it up in this thread.

I love my tank right now. It's pretty much exactly what I was going for! The butterflies are so pretty and so active. It's a great show tank!

IMG_0675.JPG

Pat24601

Now that's just not fair ! ;)
Ok I see 4 butterfly's what is the 3rd from left?

Great eye!

I have two Spotbands. The angle just makes it hard to see.

I didn’t really want to, but my LFS said they thought the chance of survival was higher if I had two because they get more comfortable in their environment and eat easier if they have a friend.

I don’t know if that’s true or BS. But, they talked me into it.

A raccoon butterfly is back in caves somewhere in this pic.