Should I go With the Original Bulb?

NjRiCaN

Hello everyone! I have a JBJ Nano Cube with the HQI canopy that uses the JBJ metal halide bulb 150watts 14,000K. I was wondering if theres any better brand bulbs i can purchase that people has seen better coral growth with? also as long as the bulb is rated for 150watts, i could go with a 20,000k output bulb right?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
There are several "Quality" bulbs manufacturers out there but there are about 10x as many less than "Good" bulb manufacturers. Be leery of those uber inexpensive Flea-Bay bulbs because you get what you pay for.

Phoenix makes a very nice bulb but there are many others too.

As far as "K" rating yes as long as it says, "Double End/DE" and 150W you're good to go. You can get anywhere from 10,000 - 20,000 K. The higher the number the crisper the BLUE is the lower the number the more YELLOW you'll see with your eyes. Up to you. I've had great growth with all the above but I prefer more in the BLUE spectrum personally.

NjRiCaN

Thanks for the info! i chose to go with the Radium 150w 20,000K bulb. i read pretty good reviews on it. the price is the only thing that has a bad review in my book.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've heard some VERY good things about Radium. I may try a pair of those next if I replace my current bulbs (I'm not a MH fan and am trying to NOT buy new bulbs)