should i even ask

garret

befor i ask this question i know what the ansewer will be i just want to find out what people think

well i have spent hours leveling my tank with carpet and shim (spelling) it is completely level from side to side (lets see what the water does to the shim)
but it tips slightly forward the bubble in the level is still in between the lines though i have never heard of a tank cracking or breaking from that little of a tilt but it still worries me a little

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would get it as close to perfect as possible. I think it is recommended that the carpet be pulled back for leveling.

kare-bear

We tried shims a few weeks ago but changed to a sand bed. It's perfectly level. I was worried about uneven overflow from the two sides of the tank. Also the tank weighs so much more when full that I didn't want any stress on the frame/joints.
Sand works great and it gives all over support of the stand. We didn't want to pour concrete. It's a 'sand jack'
We did it by making a frame the shape of the stand with 'corner bead' used for sheet rock. The sand is contained and doesn't go anywhere. It's great.

Last edited:

framerguy

We tried shims a few weeks ago but changed to a sand bed. It's perfectly level. I was worried about uneven overflow from the two sides of the tank. Also the tank weighs so much more when full that I didn't want any stress on the frame/joints.
Sand works great and it gives all over support of the stand. We didn't want to pour concrete. It's a 'sand jack'
We did it by making a frame the shape of the stand with 'corner bead' used for sheet rock. The sand is contained and doesn't go anywhere. It's great.
Brilliant idea and something I'm gonna use,...thanks!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Carpet DOES create pressure points. It's not designed for leveling and it compresses allowing a tank to become unlevel. It's highly suggested it go TO the hard floor.

garret

i filled the tank, not with salt water just with tap to see what would happen it went fine no problems

i figure if it really comes to that i can drain it and pull the carpet out quick its not that hard to pick the tank up an inch