Should I buy some actinics?

I am currently running an Icecap 250w MH pendant (14k) on my 29 gallon. I was thinking of buying some actinics. What would you guys recommend? I really miss that glowing effect an actinic will give when your main light cuts off at night. Possibly, I may order some actinics and l.e.d.'s. Suggestions? Recommendations? What do you currently like using? Pictures of your tanks with the actinics on? Thanks.

nstiesi

I really like actinic supplementation....of course my daylights are PC, which tend to look yellow, even at 10K. I never run my daylights without the actinics, and the actinics alone set my greens and oranges on fire.

newfish%20(5).jpg

actiniczoas.jpg

jnohs

Aquatic products

this is a pretty cool fixture with a reasonable price. I have 2 of these units and was orignally running

2 actinics
1 18000k
1 6500k
but i had to change it over to
3 actinics
1 6700k

because i was burning my corals with to much light. the t5 ho bulbs pump a seriouse amount of light. i currently have a bare bottem tank and my water clarity is amazing and my light has deep penetration.

my current set up

2 actinic 460nm t5 55w
1 actinic 420nm t5 55w
1 6700k t5 55w
2 10,000k pc 65w
2 actinic pc 65w
--------------------
totaling= 295watts actinic
165watts (covering the rest of the spectrum)

with this set up i burn the hell out of corals. but soon i will be disgarding the pc bulb and getting 4 more t5 ho.

so my responce is go with a t5 ho double bulb fixture. with
1 460nm actinic and
1 420 nm actinic and you will definalty be set. I promise you t5 kick some seriouse light out.

And like you said about burning your corals up...that 250w mh is really throwing out the juice on this little 29 gallon. So, I really need to be careful on which one I decide to order.

jnohs

well then i wouls say that what eveer you goo with. i find that the 420nm make corals flourise more

I think your best bet would be to get a 20000K bulb into that metal halide. That spectrum is alot more blue than 14000k and the 20k will make everything glow without the actinic.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have to respectfully disagree. The 20k is bluer (to our eyes) but it's not putting out as much light energy in the right temps for the corals. Yes they will probably survive but depending on which corals you have in your tank you'll want MORE supplementation with the 20k bulb(s). I'm running a 14k MH, a 20K MH and a whole array of T5's in my 90g tank and am having PHENOMENAL growth with really good (at least to my likes) color.

My vote is for a 12k-14k MH bulb and some T5 supplementation.

What size T5 should I get? What name brand? I have never messed with any of the T5 fixtures. This will be my first.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't know about "Brands" of fixtures but I'd get the "size" that most matches your tank. Like if the tank is 24" long get 20" or 24" lights.

Hope that helps some :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well that's entirely up to you. I have "Actinics/Blues" for all of my T5's now. That's just the look I like....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Big-t I honestly have no idea. I'm sure you're not the only one trying to do this so I'd like to think what you're looking for is readily available.

Allen