Should I add more snails and hermits...and how many????

sh8wn9

My tanks been up for almost 2 years now. Its the 29g biocube...for the inverts...I have a short spined urchin(this was the first invert I added), 3 astrea snails, I think the most Ive counted at one time is 8 hermits (4dwarf blue legged, 2 scarlet, snd 2 jade), 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, a bunch of these 1/2 grey hairy crabs that I see in the shadows, and I think thats it.
I only have 2 fish, a clown and a yellow watchman goby(whos is probably the cleanest thing in there cuz the shrimp is always cleaning him). I have a good skimmer, which hasnt been on for a week since I cant get the air house to work properly, but thats another topic. I have a hang on back refugium loaded with chateo as well (but there is a ton of brown debris all over the chateo which is not good Im assuming???) I do have that red algae(cyano I think), and the sand is definitely not as white as Id like....I would just like the tank a bit cleaner I guess...so any suggestions on the inverts?????????

Oh and on an unrelated note, I have a current nova extreme T5 light fixture(have had it for over a year I think) and recently I lost an actinic light...I thought it was burned out and it turned out that something happened and when I went to change it somehow the light moved weeks ago when I thought it was burnt out and I left it there for a week before I decided to change it or came loose or SOMETHING and it stated to melt the fixture!!!!!!.....it wasnt really burned out it was toasted and frying the socket so its no longer useable for that light fixture...so Im down to 5 lights). Good thing it didnt catch on fire!:verymad:

So, any opinions on more snails or hermits would be great. This site (the members in it) has been so helpful ever since I signed up. THANKS!!

i have about 600 nassarius snails in my 46 gallon tank, they keep it really clean. they hide in the sand during the day and come out at night usually. you can get them pretty cheap off ebay, if you were local id sell you some, hope this is of some help

tnwillia

Add snails only!

Adding both just gives the hermits something to eat to steal shells and your snail population goes down. Have fun!

David Shaw

i have about 600 nassarius snails in my 46 gallon tank, they keep it really clean. they hide in the sand during the day and come out at night usually. you can get them pretty cheap off ebay, if you were local id sell you some, hope this is of some help

Wow that'a huge amount. How much do you have to ffed them to support that kind of population?