Shipping corals

woolfe

I'm about to ship my first coral frag today. I have a tiny foam cooler that I will be shipping in. What do I use for a heat pack? I only have two ideas, a hot hands pack or a first aid heat pack. Is there another kind that I should use?

forestal

i usually use 2 of the 12 hour variety from the ski place, taped to inside top of cooler

also wanted to put an idea out there , i have shipped all but xenia successfully this way, dry, wrapped in wet papertowels, so moist but no water to get fouled incase of delay....corals produce a protective mucous layer that protects them

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i usually use 2 of the 12 hour variety from the ski place, taped to inside top of cooler

also wanted to put an idea out there , i have shipped all but xenia successfully this way, dry, wrapped in wet papertowels, so moist but no water to get fouled incase of delay....corals produce a protective mucous layer that protects them

What about Zoas, frogspawn, shrooms and rics? Can they survive a 2-3 trip in just moist papertowels?

Allen

forestal

i have done all of those as well as clavularia and they did fine... i ship overnight fedex so they are usually <48 hours, but eric borneman has talked of shipping like this for longer than that being ok...reefkeeping has an article about this i think

Triggerjay

I would be in for something like that... Round robin would be cool!... Never thought about that before...

Jason

panmanmatt

I'm sort of lost here... how does that work?

Allen

For example, I send a frag to you from my tank, you turn around and send a frag from your tank to Triggerjay, triggerjay send a frag from his tank to forestal and forestal sends a frag from his tank to me. Each person pays shipping when they send out the frags and everyone involved gets a free frag.

flricordia

For example, I send a frag to you from my tank, you turn around and send a frag from your tank to Triggerjay, triggerjay send a frag from his tank to forestal and forestal sends a frag from his tank to me. Each person pays shipping when they send out the frags and everyone involved gets a free frag.

But the cost of shipping a single frag would make it not so free and nto much of a good thing would it? I guess if you are located where it is difficult to get nice corals. Maybe I am just thinking about what 'I WILL GET OUT OF IT' point of view and missing the point? Yes, I am a selfish American I will admit and want everything given to me for nothing. And if the drive-thru doesn't have my meal ready by the time I pull up to pay, well, how dare they. Oh boy, got to lay off the Buds.

forestal

well the idea is, you pay for the overnight shipping to the next person, you can do lots of frags or just a couple, but once the circle is done the last person sends to the first

Intranick

I think its a cool idea, but what happens if somebody doesn't have a frag at that point that they want to send to somebody.. though maybe in that case they shouldn't be in a round robin i guess, but maybe there is a way it's made up for?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No if you don't have the frag ready to go (like Me) you just sit it out and wait for the next one to come around. If this one works out like it COULD(and seems to be) I would suspect you'll see more of these in the near future.

Allen