She Bit Me!!!!!!!!!!

Techno-Vicki

I was just minding my own business, petting the shark, and what do you know, but she turned around, grabbed my finger, pulled me into the tank, shoved me back out and finally let go!!! And here I though all along she was my friend:wit: Well, needless to say, I am not very happy with her. Ok, I will start again...

This is Jack's lovely 20 inch nurse shark I am talking about. I was very nervous when she and I first met. Infact, when my sister and I fed her for the first time, I kind of screamed. Ok, yes, I screamed when she came out of the water. After a few months of getting to know her from outside of the tank, I finally got the courage to pet her. Hummmmm....sand paper. She got used to me and always came up to the glass and let me reach in and pet her. We have had a great relationship...that is until tonight!!!!!!

I must say, Jack thought I was afraid, no...I was mad at her! After Jack bandaged me up, I went back to the tank while he was on the phone and had a long talk with her about her behavior. I think we have a new understanding. She stays in the tank and I stay out, well when it is feeding week anyway.

I still like her, I just a bit more respectful of her.

Attachments

• shark-1.jpg
    shark-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 143
  • shark-2.jpg
    shark-2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 139

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I think she got really lucky because the sharks mouth is big enough to have had her hand. Sorry honey

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Here she is

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/11530/cat/500/ppuser/7753

Or

Nurse-1.jpg

Snappy

I am glad to see it wasn't as serious as it could have been. It's funny (not haha) how the little cut's smart. They sometimes hurt worse than one that needs stitches. Be sure to disinfect it. I hope you heal fast. Good luck.

BoomerD

Vicki...I always thought you were smarter than that...:p

(just because Jack does it...) :smack:

prow

was it the middle the finger? maybe you fipped her off without realizing it.

tbittner

Yeah, if I had a shark like that I think I'd rig up a catapult to feed it. :lol:

JK! I know my predator tank goes nuts when it's feeding day, triggers and eels out swimming about attacking anything and everything. They aren't big enough to get a part of me inside their mouths yet though. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Holy Bat Cow Man! Sorry about that!!

Hey if yall decide to get rid of her I will have a 10g tank available for her in the next month or so... it should be tight enough to keep her restrained :)

Man she's a BEAUTY!!

Allen :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Ouch! Sharks were not meant to be petted, if they were, they would have had fur! :lol: Sorry about that Vicki.

caitrina

Jacks question to me in the hitch hikers ID thread was "My first thought is why no gloves?" Well, my first thought is crap, I hope you are alright and man OUCH, that had to hurt ,my last thought is "why would you put your hand in a shark's tank?

On the humorous side...when you pass her tank, do you now hear the music they played in the"jaws" movie when the shark was closing in on its victims ? :lol: I would....

Hope your finger heals quickly and is just a memory that will probably make you think twice about putting your hand in the shark's territory.

Nice looking shark though. I do like to watch them . There is a place in Ft. Pierce that has a 8000 gal tank with a few sharks. I went there to look for corals and ended up spending my time in there watching the sharks swim. Something about the way they swim that kind of mesmerizes me. Look regal, graceful, peaceful, and yet vicious all at the same time

Techno-Vicki

It just makes me much more respectful. I was raise as a child with just about ever kind of wild animal you can think of, and yes, we petted them. I got overly confident and was not watching her behavior close enough. Did any of you see the special with the guy who swims, feeds, and pets the Tiger Sharks. Not in a million years could you get me to do that.

caitrina

I didn't see that special about that guy, but my (late) husband, Jack, was a dive instructor ,as well as a paramedic / fire fighter / rescue diver and did things that we would think rather dangerous. I have a video of him diving and swimming with the sharks like it were nothing. Have some pretty cool pictures of different underwater creatures that he would take his dive students to see on their dives. Diving was centered around most of the trips he would take and he traveled the world near and far. One day I will post some of the pictures. Anyway, as you said, it is easy to get overly confident with animals we see every day.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Wild animals are unpredictable, period!

During Shark Week on the Discovery channel, I saw a shark researcher that was standing in hip deep water to show that it was safe to be in the water with sharks, when a large Bull shark took off his entire gastrocnemis muscle (calf). Idiot! The only thing he showed, was that it was unpredictable and unsafe to be in the water with sharks. Especially if you have a pulse.

Nurse sharks are relatively tame and docile, especially when compared to Bull sharks, but are still unpredictable. I was taught, at an early age, growing up in Florida and SCUBA diving there, to observe nurse sharks, not touch them.

Last edited:

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Sharks are a very inteligent creature. Normally they will not attack as Vicki & others mention with the uy swimming & petting the Tiger Shark. By the way The great white shark rodeo is coming to Santa Rosa Next month. Lets see if Vicki lets me go now. I didnt post but however I do know what provoked the attack on her finger. Prior to the shark Vicki was petting something that I dont even venture to pet & I deal with very large eels & sharks as you have seen from my large tank. She was petting a variety of Puffers a porcupine, Blue Spot Dog Face & i thin a African Map Puffer (Which 2 of the 3 are large enough to take a finger off with 1 bite). Then she decided to pet the shark & it is getting close to that time to feed her so she thought Vickis hand to be food.

Attention Boys & Girls Sharks do bite. So please dont attempt what AQTCJAK does in the pictures he post he is a professional with alot of years of training. AQTCJAK knows how painful & serious the bite of a shark can be. 40" Lemon bit me & I thought I was going to retrieve a sheaded 1/2 of a hand but I was lucky (yes lucky).

Pictures of me playing with commong to a forum near you soon