Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Its a bit of a beast, I didn't realise it was so big, you only see the actual size when you see it in the bucket.

Yes it’s a big beast, so there’s plenty of room for algae to grow, so in theory more nutrient removal and less frequent emptying

I’ve set the flow on the pump to the middle of the recommended flow rate or thereabouts so we will see how it all works after a few weeks

And you can see the effects on pH clearly from here as well if you notice the days prior to installation

I’ve got an ELOS pH test kit coming today just to see if the Apex is still accurate or needs recalibrating. Assuming the test kit is accurate...

IMG_2881.jpg

chickenjohn

I bought a digital ph meter when I had my fowlr tank, just because I thought it was the bees knees and was probably more accurate than the salifert ph test kit I had, but it read the same as my salifert every time, lesson learnt that a cheap ph test kit for a fiver is just as good and accurate as an £80 ph meter.
Im presuming the elos isn't cheap.

SPR

I bought a digital ph meter when I had my fowlr tank, just because I thought it was the bees knees and was probably more accurate than the salifert ph test kit I had, but it read the same as my salifert every time, lesson learnt that a cheap ph test kit for a fiver is just as good and accurate as an £80 ph meter.
Im presuming the elos isn't cheap.

Pretty cheap at about £11 I think

I’ve been looking at the pH graph for a while as I don’t have a current test kit, and I’ve just ordered £250 worth (yes I know my supplies had dwindled!)of Nopox, Foundation Elements, Coral Colours etc so added it as well just to check. The reviews say it’s quiet good and it’s the only one Charterhouse sell stand alone.

I normally keep a spare 1kg box of Foundations A B C ready, and because of recent refills they were all nearly empty at the same time. Then a 5 litre Nopox.....

I ordered it together because I got 10% off it all which saved a fare bit. It made the Nopox £80 instead of £90.

Nobbygas

Now, we are seeing all these circular reactors, ALR2's etc, so Shaun, with you being the engineer, you have to design, manufacture and sell this idea.
We need a modular system where the various 'reactors etc' can be inserted into a modular frame, think of the rods going into a nuclear reactor! Each circular reactor/device would need to link to each other, whereas the single pump pushes the water through all the devices. Thereby, all the devices would come from the same manufacturer (you), only a single pump is utilized.
Crack on, get it designed and manufactured, then we can both retire as millionaires.

SPR

Boy, that thing is big!

My wife would give force me to move it out of the living room.

Can you grow pods in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clearly you lot don’t have my engineering vision or prowess!

If you look at the picture above you can’t see the reactor unless you stand right to the left of the tank so it’s not intrusive at all. If it was I would have put it in the sump or somewhere else You can’t even see the top of it or anything it’s completely out of sight.

I think you could grow pods, or potatoes but I don’t know how! Lol

I might branch out into hydroponic vegetables! Lol

SPR

And my ELOS pH test kit came and is very easy to read and use.

So despite all my mythering about low pH, the test kit was either 8.1 or 8.2 so perfect

So as I have nothing else to do apart from now ponder hydroponic gardening, I’ve cleaned the pH ORP and temperature probes of Apex. For the first time in about 2 years! They were a bit funky for sure, I even washed my hands!

Nobbygas

And my ELOS pH test kit came and is very easy to read and use.

So despite all my mythering about low pH, the test kit was either 8.1 or 8.2 so perfect

So as I have nothing else to do apart from now ponder hydroponic gardening, I’ve cleaned the pH ORP and temperature probes of Apex. For the first time in about 2 years! They were a bit funky for sure, I even washed my hands!
Personally I think once you start fretting about ORP and pH levels you've lost it ! You probably won't notice until you go to a social function, and after five minutes talking about ORP and pH, you'll find that people gently move away from you, and even if you try and change the conversation to hydroponic gardening it won't stop them, in fact, they may even start to run !

SPR

Have you got on the Red Sea stool and checked for the dust on the top of the light units? They may need a bit of a vacuum.
I don’t need a stool short arse! Lol

Actually after I cleaned the glass yesterday, the e cloths were ready for a wash, so when I’d done I wiped all the frame work down for salt creep and I also wiped the lights down as well after noticing ‘a little dust’!

The cloth was black!! Mind you it was the first time I’ve ever done it! Lol