Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Nobbygas

No I won’t be lured into it!! Lol. It’s saturday and full of people, I prefer to go when most are at work or school for a private viewing, well nearly.

The Green Chromis are what I’m after, a different colour as I have the blue already and maybe some anthias or a different type of shoaling fish.

I think the vampire won’t be around long, he’s very thin and trying to feed but struggling in the frenzy. If I could catch him I would, but no chance.
This for me is a huge problem. When I caught all the fish before, it involved a complete breakdown of the tank, and I'm not doing that again. With the Vampire, by the time they are moving slowly and are lethargic and easy to catch, it's too late. What do you think is wrong with him? Any ideas/clues?

One thing puzzles me. To cure Ich or Velvet it is recommended that you remove all fish and leave fallow for 76 days. How do the LFS cope with this? They must get fish with Ich etc, but you don't see them closing their doors because their tanks have to lay fallow for 76 days? Is there some secret we are not told about?

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I think the vampire tang is just not tough enough to presumably get enough food or is or has been bullied by someone

Possibly similar with the blue eyed tang who knows

The vampire tang just looked very thin and frail so im guessing its not going to survive and I’ve not seen him so far today.

I wouldn’t even attempt to remove fish from my system to treat them and if I can’t cure something with a medication thats reef safe, its survival of the fittest unfortunately, and I don’t mean that to sound harsh. It would be nearly impossible if it didn’t want to be caught. Fish trap maybe but...

I think there can be a lot of false/incorrect information on forums about ich and other diseases. My good LFS doesn’t seem at all fazed if he spots anything like that and basically he says in most cases it clears up providing the fish are strong an healthy. He wont sell anything thats ill of course, but this has been just general chat with him and he is very knowledgeable.

If i say i like a particularly nice looking fish, if it’s potentially unsuitable he always just says ‘you don’t want that one’!

Ive always used UVC with a very low flow rate to try and avoid any issues and feel comfortable thats its doing what it’s supposed to do. I get the impression this is much more common in Europe than for example the US.

SPR

The Vampire Tang didn’t make it and fortunately I found him and removed him from the system no doubt much to the annoyance of the clean up crew.

I went to the LFS a couple of weeks ago, and was saying to the owner for a good 30 minutes on why I had stopped buying expensive colonies as I prefer to grow them from frags so they grow in ‘my water’.

Anyway, I left with a Colony at £90!! Lol

I added it on a Friday, and on Sunday this was what was left. I can’t even remember the name but it was supposed to swell up and eat is a most bizarre way.

It never really swelled up and this is the result. The Regal angel is in the picture and was pecking at the remains, but I don’t think he was the culprit

Anyway £90 gone..........

10804398480_IMG_3081.jpg10804505088_IMG_3082.jpg

Nobbygas

Ouch. 90 quid for a coral is a bit steep for me, although one time I was in the LFS, and I saw this really nice Golden Torch, which I just had to have. You know what it's like as "I'll take that" comes out of your mouth too soon. I forgot to ask how much, and that ended up costing 90 euros. Have you ever seen a man stifling his tears at a cash till? His shoulders bumping up and down as he hands over his credit card? I'm glad to say though that it is still alive and thriving !

I've decided there will be no Regal Angel for my tank. I like my Zoas too much.

Nobbygas

The Vampire Tang didn’t make it and fortunately I found him and removed him from the system no doubt much to the annoyance of the clean up crew.

I went to the LFS a couple of weeks ago, and was saying to the owner for a good 30 minutes on why I had stopped buying expensive colonies as I prefer to grow them from frags so they grow in ‘my water’.

Anyway, I left with a Colony at £90!! Lol

I added it on a Friday, and on Sunday this was what was left. I can’t even remember the name but it was supposed to swell up and eat is a most bizarre way.

It never really swelled up and this is the result. The Regal angel is in the picture and was pecking at the remains, but I don’t think he was the culprit

Anyway £90 gone..........

View attachment 48697View attachment 48698
Forgot to say sorry about the Vampire. Was he just skinny and weak, or were there any other signs?

Whenever I have a fish die, for whatever reason, the first thing I do is to mix some Seachem Kanaplex into the frozen food. This is a broad spectrum antibiotic. By feeding the tank with this I feel at least I'm giving all the fish a health shot to maybe help them if there is 'something' in the tank. It's totally reef safe.

Pancho75

Sorry for your tang Shaun, I know how it hurts.

In the other hand, I won’t call frugal £90 per a colony haha... that coral looks awesome by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Forgot to say sorry about the Vampire. Was he just skinny and weak, or were there any other signs?

Whenever I have a fish die, for whatever reason, the first thing I do is to mix some Seachem Kanaplex into the frozen food. This is a broad spectrum antibiotic. By feeding the tank with this I feel at least I'm giving all the fish a health shot to maybe help them if there is 'something' in the tank. It's totally reef safe.
He was just skinny and no other signs of anything so I’m not concerned about that.

He was eating what he could get, but I’m thinking there is some serious territorial issues so I think I’m going to just add ‘shoaling’ fish for a while like chromis/anthias who can stick together a bit more.

SPR

Sorry for your tang Shaun, I know how it hurts.

In the other hand, I won’t call frugal £90 per a colony haha... that coral looks awesome by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What the dead coral that’s looks like a skeleton!! ?? Lol

Well I hope it was dead cos I threw it in the bin!

Nobbygas

He was just skinny and no other signs of anything so I’m not concerned about that.

He was eating what he could get, but I’m thinking there is some serious territorial issues so I think I’m going to just add ‘shoaling’ fish for a while like chromis/anthias who can stick together a bit more.
I must admit but any 'health issues' I have in the tank always seem to stem from a Tang. I've got a bit of an incident going on at the moment. I lost the Tomini Tang and the Powder Brown. I thought the Tomini had some sort of Fungal Infection. He was swimming and eating ok, but didn't look too good and I was treating with Kanaplex, so I was not too concerned, but he then died suddenly, even though he was acting normally. The Powder Brown was an even bigger surprise because on inspection there wasn't anything wrong with him. I noticed he was a bit lethargic one day, but I was just leaving for work. When I got home that night, he was dead. The Powder Brown died about four days after the Tomini. This set the alarm bells ringing, so out came the magnifying glass, and I can see the Orchid Dottyback, the male Lyretail Anthis and the male Trigger all had some 'whittish marks/spots' on them. It's difficult to tell if it's Ich, Velvet or something else, however all three have 'spots' on their fins. I've upped the food quality to include live food most days (blackworms, Copepods etc). I'm dosing Medic, which is aimed at the free-swimming stage of any nasties. I'm also dosing something called "PROTOMOR" from Münster Aquarium https://www.aquarium-munster.com/en/products/remedies/protomor/
This is aimed at primarily treating the fish and is reef safe. Since the treatment has started I've not seen any sign that the healthy fish are infected, and the three infected are all acting and eating normally.
The only new addition recently was the Powder Brown, but he was bought from an LFS that puts their fish through quarantine before selling them.

So, to go back, I think the Tangs can be troublesome. I think I may just get some more Wrasse.

SPR

I must admit but any 'health issues' I have in the tank always seem to stem from a Tang. I've got a bit of an incident going on at the moment. I lost the Tomini Tang and the Powder Brown. I thought the Tomini had some sort of Fungal Infection. He was swimming and eating ok, but didn't look too good and I was treating with Kanaplex, so I was not too concerned, but he then died suddenly, even though he was acting normally. The Powder Brown was an even bigger surprise because on inspection there wasn't anything wrong with him. I noticed he was a bit lethargic one day, but I was just leaving for work. When I got home that night, he was dead. The Powder Brown died about four days after the Tomini. This set the alarm bells ringing, so out came the magnifying glass, and I can see the Orchid Dottyback, the male Lyretail Anthis and the male Trigger all had some 'whittish marks/spots' on them. It's difficult to tell if it's Ich, Velvet or something else, however all three have 'spots' on their fins. I've upped the food quality to include live food most days (blackworms, Copepods etc). I'm dosing Medic, which is aimed at the free-swimming stage of any nasties. I'm also dosing something called "PROTOMOR" from Münster Aquarium https://www.aquarium-munster.com/en/products/remedies/protomor/
This is aimed at primarily treating the fish and is reef safe. Since the treatment has started I've not seen any sign that the healthy fish are infected, and the three infected are all acting and eating normally.
The only new addition recently was the Powder Brown, but he was bought from an LFS that puts their fish through quarantine before selling them.

So, to go back, I think the Tangs can be troublesome. I think I may just get some more Wrasse.
Good observation and I think I need to get some more wrasse to because I’ve lost 2 in the last month or so. I don’t know what their life expectancy is, the LFS said cleaner wrasse last about 6 months, but mine is ‘currently’ doing fine. Both of the deceased wrasse were expensive at like £125 ish and I’m not spending that again on fish. (He says confidently! Lol)

Nobbygas

Have a look at some of the cheaper, but still spectacular Wrasse. Melanurus, Dusky, Tamarin and Yellow/Banana/Canary (whatever its called but it's Yellow) are all very nice looking fish. Here, I would expect to pay about 30 euro for a Yellow, up to 49 euro for a Melanurus or Dusky.
One thing I have found out.......It's difficult to keep a Mandarin with Wrasse as they compete for the Pods, and the Wrasse are far quicker to take the food. I'm certain that is why my Mandarin didn't survive.