Shadi's red sea max 250

shadi75

Day 6

I added two damsels and 15 hermit crabs few days ago , a new lfs opened and i payed them a visit they dont sell damsels but they were happy to give me one they didnt want from frag tank, then i got another blue damsel my kid wanted from another fish shop.
redseamaxwithdamselinit_zps4fd1f0f7.jpg

I measured all the levels yesterday , ammonia at zero, nitrite 0 , nitrate zero . Today i measured phosphate and i got a reading of .07 which i think is very low but i hope its not a start for more to come from the live rock. i hooked up the skimmer to test it after some adjustment and 6 hours it started to skim properly .
skimmerstartingtowork_zps35b7ec1b.jpg

The skimmer is the loudest thing in there and it made alot of bubbles at first , so i placed those bubble trap foam that came with the aquarium, but i don't like those i think they will start a nitrate factory for me.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Skimmer foam looks GREAT, looks like you have it tuned in well right from the start :thumbup:
I didn't cycle my tank with live fish & already knew before I started my tank that I did NOT want any aggressive damsels this time. They are beautiful fish but most of them will get more aggressive as they mature.
My 135gal FOWLR was damsel dominate & workout well but not sure how 65gal will do.
Post pictures so we can see your new fish :D

shadi75

Thanks my first skimmer was a red sea prizm and i really hated it lol

Honestly i m not big on damsels i only got them to make my kids happy and stop asking me daily when are we getting fish, the damsels will probably going to be given away or back to lfs in a month. will see i m getting more aggressive fish nothing small like the damsels. Here are some photos:
blue damsel
bluedamsel_zps27843e11.jpg

i have not clue which damsel this is , it was free and its bullies the blue damsel
damsels2_zps0686393b.jpg

I think i want to get a lemon peel angel a banner fish and a tang and last if everything is good either a small niger triger or a porcupine puffer will have to see how everything is. I don't think the damsels will bully any of these guys there too big for them.

shadi75

This is hard i was with the kids at my local lfs today and this is what i took a photo off:
puffers11_zpsa196debd.jpg

puffers21_zps33b25620.jpg

Those are the smallest porcupine puffers i ever seen in store, very cute too. i was able to resist buying one. I had a mappa puffer and porcupine puffer along time ago they were fun to watch. I also saws a yellow eye kole tang i was trying to take a photo but he kept hiding every time i tried they have a nice personality.

Lvls are good i think i will be getting a wp 25 powerhead and ph meter pen soon .

shadi75

Last night i took a picture of a worm in the tank sticking out of the rock, i never seen anything like it before i had bristle worms before but this is new here are some photos, its looks like an earth worm but the head is kind of flat, this thing was extending over 6" out of the rock but it stayed in . Any one had anything like this before?
IMG_2120_zps5dd15f9f.jpg

IMG_2118_zps1bd46169.jpg

shadi75

Yeah i think your right it looks similar to the peanut warm , its a relief since its not harmful so no worry.

Awesome puffs. Would be like a wrecking ball in your system though. Good show of willpower resisting them.

I'm having to chase my wife off of adding a leopard toby to ours someday. She loves those little guys. If you aren't going to do the reef thing, and you really want a puffer in here, a leopard would be the right size. Not that I'm suggesting anything :)

I really like how you 'scaped those caves into the left side of your rockwork.

shadi75

Thanks i was trying to make a bridge with the rocks but i had to settle for the caves i know the fish will love them.

Great the lvls are good spite my over feeding i m going to add some more hermit crabs and maybe some nasi snails to clean the sand .

The only issue i have is the skimmer its working good pulling out a lot of mess but its loud, i can't buy a deltec yet i use to have the mc 600 and i really loved it so i will have to get used to the noise and get use to the wife complaining about it , i will try some rubber pieces around the pump and see if that helps.

shadi75

hmm i have gone thru a lot of threads about the noise i never heard of a silencer pipe? i read some cut up rubber pieces and place them around the skimmer pump , that thing is the issue.

grantd

hmm i have gone thru a lot of threads about the noise i never heard of a silencer pipe? i read some cut up rubber pieces and place them around the skimmer pump , that thing is the issue.
Hi Shadi
At the top of the Skimmer on the far right side of the lid there is a small hole into which a short 20cm long pipe is inserted. This is the suction/air inlet which when the pipe is in place dampens the sound significantly (probably 30% on mine)
I am not sure of the skimmer model you have, but if you dont have that, its not a difficult mod to do...& there are some serious pro's at mods in this forum.
If that's in place already - you might want to disassemble the skimmer & check the impeller for wear.
On my skimmer setup, the skimmer pump does not come into contact with any part of the tank, so I dont think it is that.
My 2c worth anyway - hope you get it quiet :)

shadi75

I m going to takeout the skimmer tonight and give it a closer look, the guy that had the tank before me hardly ran the skimmer he told me he upgraded to another skimmer right away and i believe the skimmer was almost like new, when i first got it i took the pump apart cleaned it and put it back together and had it run in ro water for half a day it was louder then the aquarium pumps i remember that. I think the pump could be touching something will have to take a better look, i didn't get a pipe with the skimmer so i m going to look into that some more .

Thanks grantd

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
This picture clearly shows the intake tube, (not my picture and I don't take credit for it).
It's the black hose going from the silencer to the left.
It's supposed to be routed outside the lid to pull in fresh, dry air, as explained on page 20 on the manual, item #7

DSCF0291.jpg

p20n7_zpsa1a6d8c7.jpg

shadi75

Wow almost two weeks went by and i haven't posted anything.

I just bought a jebo wp 10, i wanted the 25 but they were all out and i was told the 25 is very strong and since its best to place those near the top of the aquarium so that they simulate waves on the top of water which is something the fish loves, i never heard that before but i m trying it.

I got a small porcupine puffer and yellow eye kole last week and this week the wife insisted on a bi color angel and a copper band butterfly.
bicolorangel_zps6b6d5af1.jpg

puffer_zpsd5130658.jpg

I been using the api test stripes and they have been showing me perfect readings but i think they don't work, i m going to take my water to my lfs and see if get the same result.
IMG_2138_zpsa5be54d8.jpg

IMG_2137_zpsc10df23d.jpg

I also removed all of bubble trap foam i think its nitrate factory the water lavl went down bit and the bublble trap foam was exposed and i noticed a smell right away having the fans on top of it, i been using a media bag to filter the water to the last chamber instead of the water polish stuff. I should have my intank media chamber , digital meter, underwater fuge lighting and the blue filter foam arrive any day now.

I m going to start using nitra-guard bio cubes alot of people in my area have been using it successfully and love it and since i got a puffer in there i m sure the nitrate will be climbing up soon, let me know if any one used that on there rsm 250.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tip go slow adding your beautiful fish... one a month is a good rate, when they stress, many get ich & that is a nightmare to deal with.

shadi75

Very true i regret it now, i should of stayed with the puffer and tang for at least a month. I m keeping an eye on everything so far so good. I dealt with ich before and if you dont have quarantine tank its a problem.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good idea on taking your water in to get checked, those test strips are not very good.