Setting up my RSM Refugium

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Lifereef and no skimmer box here either. I purchased one but I think the size might interfere with a finger leather I have in that corner.

mrfishy

thanks guys
will take it out and see what happens, just hope the surface will stay clear !
changing lights again this week. got a geisemann 250w halide with compact
t5 actinics. my red sea is going mostly sps now so thought i would try the halide route, although they are going to have to go some to beat my t5 and led aquarays

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Let us know how it goes when you take the surface skimmer off. My Lifereef overflow is set so that my display tank level is just below the tank rim, with a few millimeters of open space at the top of the gate to get the surface skimmed. If you run your level higher it may not skim as well. The new lights sound nice.

mrfishy

i decided to give the skimmer box up and use original grate then relying on lifereef box to set the water level, the light and flow are so much better without it !!
have also modded the back section with the old front flap of my old hood, i think it tidy's the back up quite well
the giesemann 250w and actinics are now up and running but i am starting it off 12in off the water, the light is incredible :cool: :cool:

IMG_6018_1.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looks like an awesome light setup mrfishy! Thanks for answering a question i had on the skimmer box with a Lifereef. I use my overflow to control the level too, and had a feeling that putting the skimmer box in might upset some things concerning water levels. I've been having periodic noise problems with my Lifereef and after being awakened again at 2am a couple nights ago I got fed up and fed a second airline down the standpipe and voila - no more noise at all since! Back to a silent tank again. Post an FTS when you get a chance to let us see the effect of that new fixture! The old hood mod is a cool one.

mrfishy

just a quick update
tank running great without the skimmer box, i am running the vortech very shallow about 1.5 inches off the surface in pulse mode full blast this gives a huge amount of surface movement, my 15 sps corals are enjoying the new light with amazing colours developing !!. had to move a few lps down as they were loosing colour but hope they will recover.
couple of expected problems have cropped up, one is hair algae the second is heat despite my chiller working hard.dealt with heat by using a cooling fan over water surface but working through the hair algae, put some money cowries in as someone else told me they had success with them will let you know.
i have decided to move on to a larger tank in the next few months as my passion is sps so need more water volume and space !!
new tank is 3ftx3ft and 2 foot high

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Congrats on the decision to move up to a bigger tank. Will you keep the RSM running? Let us know if the cowries do anything with the HA.

TonyV

Bump to the top because this is so informative for people setting up a sump in their RSM. Thanks terry for the detailed explanation.