Setting up my RSM Refugium

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
BrentF - good to hear from you, but not good to hear that news! Did the siphon mess up again?

Brent F

No, the grate to the back got blocked so the main tank started overflowing. With the ATO and the sump I ended up with about 10 gallons of water on the floor.

Woke up to the sound of pumps sucking air so I knew I had a problem.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Bummer! Did the grate plug up with coralline or green algae? I recently had to clean the coralline off the grate as it was severely affecting the flow into the back. I couldn't believe how much difference it made after the grate was cleaned.

Did you ever get the new tank set up, or is it on hold till you get time between getting ready for the next Ironman competition and all of the other things that keep you busy?

Brent F

I had a clump of green hair that I wasn't diligent about removing. It broke free and got sucked into the grate.

Never did setup the 90 gal. I'm going to sell the light, skimmer and sump and keep the tank for over wintering koi from the pond. I'm doing Ironman Canada in August and my girls are now teanagers so there is no time for maintaining the tanks I have, let alone another tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for explaining the reason for the tank mishaps. I try to keep an eye on my Lifereef siphon and tubing to be sure nothing plugs up with algae, but I tend to forget to check that RSM gate. At least I no longer have the big Blue Linkia star that use to block the gate and wreak havoc in the back. Good plan for the 90 gallon - Koi are very expensive! Good luck in August, and try not to stay away so long! You've always been one of my best information resources.

mbdave

:confused: Rue
I was looking at the picture of the bird in the bookcase and it got me trying to figure out what you do by the books you have... I'm not sure if your a Nuerologist, Biologist, Ecologist, or a Chicken Farmer?????

mrfishy

hi folk
just set up my sump system, the main tank is on the cabinet as usual but i got a spare rsm cabinet for the sump that sits alongside the main one
hope that makes sense ??
anyway lifereef fitted and plumbed in, just a few questions if thats ok
do you run the flow from the box to the sump underwater or just above ?
the box part of the overflow that sits over the back,should the water level where the tube goes into be the same as the rest of that chamber
how far up the sponge does the water get to
just worried about my pump overpowering the box, i have turned it down but not sure if i have got it right
any advice welcome !!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My drain tubing is a few inches below the water level in the first section of my sump/fuge.

In the back section of the Lifereef the water level in both sections is the same. My sponge is all the way down and the top hole uncovered. Water level right now is maybe a centimeter below the top of the sponge. As the sponge gets dirty and plugs up the water level rises till it starts to also exit through the upper hole. That's when I know for sure that it's time to pull that pipe up and rinse the sponge. After looking I guess I'll put it on the list for tomorrow, as I think it runs a bit lower when the sponge is clean.

The water level in the outer box is a few inches lower than the inner box.

I hope that helps.

mrfishy

thanks reefmack
when i have the inlet pipe under water i get lots of bubbles is that normal ? not sure if its because my pipework is going down at a slight angle to get to the sump cabinet.
drew

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I get a fair amount of bubbles also, but they don't end up in the tank itself. I have a filter sock but I've been hesitant to install it as it's one more thing to clean. I don't think it's a problem with the end out of the water, but I honestly don't know. I put it under to avoid any splashing.

Rue

:confused: Rue
I was looking at the picture of the bird in the bookcase and it got me trying to figure out what you do by the books you have... I'm not sure if your a Nuerologist, Biologist, Ecologist, or a Chicken Farmer?????

LOL...

My last research stint was in Neuroethology. And I have chickens...

However, I'm primarily an entomologist.

Yes, I know...but someone's got to do it...:smoking:

bryceK

I haven't been on much lately it has been so hectic here but wanted to know what people thought about my idea...I know most people have there rsm set up as a mini reef which I have done but for now I am thinking about going with a fish only with my live sand and a little live rock.......running my lifereef overflow to a 29 gallon I just picked up with a refugium section built in. I was thinking about leaving about 10-15 lbs of rock in the rsm and putting the rest of my lr in the 29g and running my chaeto in the refugium section. Doing that I am going to need to get a larger skimmer as I don't feel my tunze nano would be sufficient any ideas on a larger skimmer to use? Let me know what you think

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi brycek! That sounds like a cool idea. I agree the 9002 may be borderline for that many combined gallons. On the lower tank are you limited to height on the skimmer? There's a Tunze 9005 that would be nice, or some of the AquaC skimmers. Also hang ons unless you'd rather avoid those. Lots of skimmers out there if you can fit the height, with room to remove the cup. If you'll only use the 29g as a sump and a FO in the RSM, maybe the 9002 would be enough?

azredsea

RM, just reading thru your fuge thread. I'm curious, are you running StevieT's media basket anymore? Or maybe you never did?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi azredsea. Nope - I only ran the media basket when I had the Remora skimmer hanging on the back. I do still put it in once in a while if I'm doing some heavy duty coralline scraping, to help trap the stuff before it goes down into the sump/fuge. I have thought about putting in back in though - just to run some carbon in and an occasional placement of a filter pad.

mrfishy

hi folk
sump been running a couple of weeks now
just wondering if any of you using the lifereef box are also using the new surface skimmer box from red sea or are you using the standard combe and relying on the lifereef box for setting the level ?
i am using both and it works very well but would like to take the box off as tank would look better
cheers
drew

bryceK

Drew, I have the RSM 130 with no surface skimmer box. I just took my tank down over the past few weeks in order to kind of start over from scratch. I used the lifereef exclusively for over 8 months with no issues.