Setting up my RSM Refugium

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm in the progress if setting up an old 10 gallon tank with baffles, to put a refugium in the RSM cabinet. Nothing set up yet as it seems like every step I take needs one step backwards.

Equipment:

Life Reef overflow box designed for the Red Sea Max - requires no cutting of the back lip of the tank. 400 gph

Maxi-Jet 1800 utilitity pump for return - rated 475 gph at zero head, so it should be fine at about 3-4 feet, plus it has an adjustable flow.

Old 10 gallon tank - leak tested OK

Refugium baffle kit from Ebay. Came with very poor instructions and poor pictures. I put one baffle together incorrectly, and after reversing that baffle and then discussing the whole setup with Brent F, we decided that baffle is shown placed backwards in the vendor's pictures. Hard to descibe the situation until I can post some picture.

I siliconed one baffle in place yesterday, and realized that I picked up white GE Silicone I instead of clear. I'd seen where some people have used the white GE I with no problems, and even though the clear GE I is often used, I was concerned about the "not for aquarium use" on the labels of both. I'm 99% sure it would be OK, as the white color is probably TiO2 (titanium dioxide - used in toothpaste and lots of other consumer products), but that disclaimer on aquarium use made me rethink the whole situation. I plan to remove the white silicone with a razor scraper tonight, and I have a couple of 10 oz. tubes of All Glass Aquarium Silicone ordered and being shipped. I really didn't want to go through all of this and be worried about the grade of silicone killing things in my tank - better safe now than sorry later.

So I'm back to waiting again. Eventually I'll get this thing together and post some pictures.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LPSLuver - Thanks! I remember that article, maybe from you posting it in the past. But I never could find it again in searching. Great idea to consider. I'm not sure if I have the extra 1/4" of space needed on the baffle widths, but I think I do. My main concern would be getting the weatherstripping tight enough on the bottom corners to keep the refugium mud from getting through. Or having to wedge the baffles in so tight that I'd crack the tank glass. It would sure be easy to move the baffles, if needed, with this approach. I already have the All Glass silicone on the way, so I'll proceed, and if I'm not happy with it I think I still have one or two more 10g tanks in the attic to try this method. :)

LPSLuver

The advantage to the method is it provides flexibility to change things once in place. The corner issue is resolve by cutting three exact pieces and either over-cutting the bottom piece and resting the side pieces on it or over cutting the sides and butting them up against the bottom piece. Do this rather than one long pice and wrapping it. The weather stripping compresses pretty well so I am pretty confident that the aquarium will not break. The slickness of the glass makes the tight fit really important, so that the baffles do not slip.

I used this method on a Lifereef wet/dry that I converted to a LR sump and it works great.

Arreola

Reefmack - Are you going to place teh Skimmer in the refugium?

If possible, post some pics, Im also considering a refugium.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LPSLuver - good points on the flexibility of the weatherstripping method, and the fine points on the install.

MrsPeer - I've already got pods in the back so it'll just be a matter of time till they populate the refugium.

Arreola - yes - the Tunze 9002 will go in the refugium. I have to get the thing going before pictures LOL :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
SeahorseBT - the only pic I could take right now is of an empty 10g tank. I removed the white silicone tonight, and am awaiting the All Glass Silicone.

LPSLuver - the weather stripping isn't really workable on my baffle design. This is one 3 piece baffle - I first glued on one piece upside down, till I realized that it would serve no purpose with both slots on the top (sitting on it's side in the picture):

FugeBaffle.jpg

I was able to break off that one short slotted piece a day later without cracking anything and remounted it with the slot down.

This was a picture from the seller of the kit - a 20g tank I think, not a 10g like I'll be using. Note the baffle on the left side of the skimmer. After discussing the seller's pictures with Brent F he helped me realize this recommended setup made no sense:

5177_1.jpg

5195_1.jpg

This is a prebuilt refugium by ADHI - same type baffle system as the kit I bought - but the orientation of the U-shaped baffle makes more sense in this setup, and it's on the return pump side. This is how I'll put mine together:

adhirefugium.jpg

I don't see the kits on Ebay anymore, and the seller hasn't answered some questions I sent him several days ago. I think he must have gotten too many complaints.

Arreola

Reefmack - That is a very nice setup you are planning.
Keep posting the pictures as you set things up.
Regards
Arreola

bryceK

I don't see the kits on Ebay anymore, and the seller hasn't answered some questions I sent him several days ago. I think he must have gotten too many complaints.

Reefmack, I first looked at those set ups on Ebay and actually found out the guy is only about 10 minutes from my office and I have a phone number somewhere because I was thinking about buying and contacted him to pick up instead of paying the shipping let me know if you want the information I can try and dig it up.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
bryceK - thanks, but I'm OK on the setup now. Brent was more helpful than that Ebay vendor.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
SeahorseBT - bryceK is correct - I also have the Lifereef overflow box. Still waiting for my All Glass silicone to arrive - due tomorrow. I'll get the refugium baffles in this week, let it cure well, and hopefully get it going next weekend.

bryceK

SeahorseBT The only place I know to purchase one is directly from Lifereef.

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank
Scroll about half way down the page is the RSM version. Place your order online then Jeff from Lifereef will e mail you and also call you to get your payment information. Online payment is not available from him. As I have found he takes a personal interest in each and every order customizing the order to your exact needs. I ordered the modified rear canopy from him as well since I still run the stock hood. I believe it was 25.00 but you can easily mod the canopy yourself and Jeff will give you the directions to do so as well.