Setting up a water change station

Looking for some advice on a water change station for my garage. Here are some questions I have ...

Does the water change station need to be food safe plastic container
How long can salt water stay in the container with constant water circulation
What are some recommended equipment

Thanks!

kyle4201

I would think food grade if you can especially for the holding tank, but people use rubbermaid or brute trash cans for the mixing. Once mixed different people have different opinions on sitting time. When I mix extra I put it in water jugs and it seems to be good for a week or so, never went longer than that. as for a set up,, heres some pix of mine,, I hope it helps.
20130808_211538_zps864560c2.jpg
20130808_211628_zps61d5b8e8.jpg
20130808_211635_zps633e0cc9.jpg
and my bad water gose to my pool instead of wasting it. :)
20130809_193641_zps456d08ea.jpg

Tigersref

the "water changing station" happens to be a slop sink in the laundry room. In there, I have tapped into the water line to feed the BRS RO/DI unit (pictured above in Kyle's photos). i have the same Brute container as in the pictures above. this is where i keep the fresh RO/DI water. whenever i do a water change, i prepare a salt water mix in a home depot bucket using a power head and heater unit mixing the salt/water for about 2-3 hrs before doing the water change. I am lucky enough to be close enough to the display tank to have a long syphon hose that taps into the slop sink for easy water changes. I also have in a cabinet a water testing kit, water additives (Red Sea foundation a,b,c) a fish net, small quart sized bucket (for moving water from brute container to mixing bucket).

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Here is another setup/design idea for you.

Piped it right to the top of my basement stairs and added a 25' hose so I can go to any tank in the house:)

reefer gladness

Yes, food grade containers should be used. Plastic that is not food-grade leaches BPA - a compound known to mimic the effects of estrogen.

I think you'll need to experiment with your salt to see how long or even if it can sit unmixed. Salts vary, Red Sea Coral Pro for example recommends their salt to be mixed and used immediately after (no storing). I've definitely seen some threads where people report pH, alkalinity and magnesium fluctuating over a period of days when the mixed water sits.

reefle

Equipment I use:

1. 5 Stage Ro/Di system from BRS. BTW you should totally get in on this November Group buy. You can get a great system for a discounted price.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/group-buys/88589-brs-group-buy-november-2013-a.html

2. brute trashcan for Ro/Di water
3. another brute for mixing salt
4. a measuring tool for the salt
5. heater (careful with placement. I've known people who have burnt a hole through their trashcan)
6. refractometer to measure salinity
7. a powerhead or pump to mix

If you want you can have a third trashcan for waste water to be used for watering plants, a pool like Kyle, etc. I usually just have my waste line run back into the sink.

I agree with everyone else its better not to store things for too long. but if you MUST make sure it has a secure lid so no contaminates get into the water.