Setting up a successful marine aquarium.

lcstorc

When most people on this forum speak of fish only IME, they are referring to FOWLR. Most are fans of LR as the best biological filter as you mention. There are varying opinions on DSB, but many people like them. We also have many members who go with a BB tank as well as a large number with sand beds that are not DSB. I would avoid CC as that traps a lot of debris which turns into nitrate and bad news.
In fact the only thing I saw that I would disagree with is the crabs. Personally, I have had bad experiences with crabs eating various animals in the tank. Mostly my snails, but they will eat whatever they can get ahold of including a sleeping or ill fish if they have the opportunity. For that reason I have removed almost all of them from my reef and returned them to my lfs. (A few I just can't seem to catch so they stay until I can get them or untill they go to crabby heaven.)
Shrimp are cool, and depending on the size of your tank and what else you are putting in you can get some neat starfish. Also Conchs and some of the fish are excellent cleaners as well.
I agree with your preference for the natural oganisms and color.
Personally I predict you will end up with a reef somewhere down the line even though you are saying FOWLR now. (I was the same way. The price of Mh lighting scared me so I started w/just fish, then softies, then recently got the lights and am on my way.)
Best of luck. Looking forward to updates as you progress.

wildbill36

thanks Icstorc , question what is a BB tank? havent heard of it yet sorry just been reading alot want all the info i can get cause when you fail to plan you plan to fail and i want to do it right and proper

lcstorc

Bare bottom. So no substrate. Some people like it mainly because there is nowhere for detrius to hide and it is easy to vacuum while doing a waterchange. Personallly I like the look of the sand so that is what I go with.

subodh

Guys that was wonderful information out there. But can someone put some light on the DSB as i am also a newcomer and have just started a FOWLS tank.
With LS i me sand with hermits who dig themselves in the sand. The sand that i have used is a normal beech sand and then added hermits to it. I have a lionfish also aproximately 6' long. I am just hoping that this brown algae stuff does not come up in my tank. Any advice for me please.
Rgds
Subodh

lcstorc

A DSB allows different bacteria to grow than a SSB or barebottom tank. Many believe this provides extra filtration and nitrate removal. I believe Cheeks69 is a proponent of DSB in the display.
I just set up a fuge and will be having one there but I keep it more shallow in the main display tank and have a DSB in my seahorse tank. (They are hooked together and share water and filtration.)

coreef2006

Well I am new to this hobby and new here, but one thing that I have been told and read in a few places that hasn't been mentioned. (or at least I didn't see it) Buy an aquarium as big as will fit in your space for it and as much as you can afford. I have started with a 180 and a 60 gallon refusion. And keeping the water stable is not to bad. I also set up a 20 for frags, and oh my god it is very hard to keep things good. Not so much the nitrate and nitrites, ammonia ect.., but the cal and salt. Just a 1/4 inch of evap and the salt jumps to 1.03.

bigpotd

When setting up a tank for the first time, it seems easier to use tap water and mix the salt right in the tank at home. This avoids time going back and forth to the LFS with a five gallon jug 10-20 times. Both methods will be comparable in price. However, the phosphates that you introduce to the system with this method can cause a huge algae bloom (this unsightly set back is discouraging). If you have issues with algae use a product like Phosguard. Removing the phosphates works like magic for controlling algae. IMHO

fishmama67

"'xcuse me but coiuld someone please explain what some of these acromnyms mean? I'm in Education and I am pretty good at acronyms (MBWA, WASL, NEA. GPA etc) but what is SPS and LPS? I got DSB (depth of Sand Bed) and FO (fish only) but I am setting up a reef tank and am trying to understand about lighting and water current/cirrculation and so forth.
My tank is 55g, I have about #30 live rock, #20 live sand and 5 green/blue Chromis. As the chromis are Indo-Pacific and that is who I began with, I am VERY interested in establishing a territory-specif tank with all sorts of friends and neighbors from the same "hood".
My "fish wishes: are (so far) as follows:
2 small percula clowns
1 regal tang (hippo tang)
2 or three lemon gobies
5 or 6 pepermint shrimp and/or skunk stripe shrimp
2 small bubble-tip anemones
1 pimk and 1 green Bird's nest corals
1 Manderin gobie( Though I don't think he is from Indo-Pacific and I may change my mind about him)
1 or 2 "giant" clams.
Now I have full-spectrum lighting but my LFD (isn't that Local Fish Dealer?) is recommending some 48" COmpact flurescent lights with lunar lighting for the coral. My husband said he thinks that the full spectrum should do the trivk but he is new at this too. I have absolutely no interest in buying a bunch of stuff that doesn't work but I also am having to go pretty slow as we teeachers don't make a ton o' cash either. I am looking for an economical but solid solution to the dilemma. Any help out there?
Thanks ahead of time a I just nkow the ideas are going to flood in as soon as I send this. One-two-three GO

kayteleann

SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont forget the sand!!!!!!!!!

Mike
as important as sand sounds my hubby just came home telling me that we were going to go bare bottomed (I'm 90% sure he meant the tank!) He said that the LFS told him that its way better for us since we're new to the hobby and that it will keep our parameters in check and the tank cleaner. I have a freshwater background and am used to subtrate being important as a biological filter. Is there any merit to this bare bottom approach?

jgking21

I don't know alot of information about Sandbeds, but I've run my 25 barebottom for quite awhile and haven't had any ill effects. For my 54 I plan on putting in a Diamond Goby to help keep the sand clean. I also like to walk around the house bare bottom, but don't see it helping either tanks!