Seting up a 14 gallon biocube

klok95330

mediabasket_zps4a7e74cd.jpg

jkef2010

Okay i'm cycleing my biocibe aswell and everything you said has not happened at all I've gotten the brown algae that's all my ph as well is dropping and can't get it up either. Any advice.

klok95330

don't worry about the PH during your cycle. It will regulate after the cycle. Are you running a refugium like I am? Make sure you have your refugium and your main display on different light timers to help regulate a PH swing.

How much live rock and how much sand do you have? Are you running a skimmer? Is your house getting fresh air? Do you have water surface agitation that helps with gas exchange?

My advice would be to wait it out. Don't dose anything and make sure you aren't running carbon or any other media during your cycle. And stay on top of your water checks. Oh also what are your level and how are you cycling your tank?

klok95330

Small update. I ordered some cree LEDs and they did come in. But I forgot to order some thermal adhesive :/ as all the spots for LED's are used and there are no more tapped holes for me to use. So I'm going to just use some thermal adhesive. Will post in a few days once I get this done. I'm waiting for my adhesive in the mail :( the wait really sucks

klok95330

Oh and the clown is really bugging my Duncan :( he only comes out sometimes. I think he is trying to host it, and Duncan isn't liking it at all.

I got 2 small sexy shrimp that are hosting my hammer. They are awesome!

klok95330

mine are doing fine. the six line never bugged them.

while im here... small update

I lost my candycanes :( I didn't notice when I bought it that it kinda look torn between the two heads and it bleached from there to he and died.

I dosed my tank for flat worms and was amazed at how many of them there were and how many 12 drops had killed in 30 minutes. There are a few let, and the survivors will remember this day as "the great culling".

got a few cree LED's here that need to install and aside from that everything is doing great!

Oh and my Duncan is growing like 5 small heads just beneath it. Its kinda cool to watch them growing.

klok95330

hammercoralandsexyshrimp_zps6eb38ecb.jpg

Hammer Coral with 2 sexy shrimp

montiandtorch_zpsde04f828.jpg

Zoa Frag, Montipora, Torch Coral
They look close.. so I'll be moving that monti to another part of the tank

acan_zps989fbace.jpg

Acan started with 3 heads. In a few months I'm at about 9 heads. Love this coral

galaxyandzoas_zps01a69805.jpg

Galaxy Coral... looks awesome! Going to remove it from its base though. But for now its going to sit there until I think its been here long enough. Its generally pretty hearty, but I don't want to stress it too much.

zoas_zpsc0fe7773.jpg

Zoas... beautiful coloring

duncanwith6heads_zps7b8194c9.jpg

My first Duncan. Started with 1 head, now has 7 heads under it in 3 months..... love it ! :p

fulltank2clowns_zps0a0b8bb0.jpg

Full tank shot. Dealing with some hair algae... need more snails... also got some algae growing off the top rock on the right. Feels kinda spongy..... some other algae growing there too... but it looks natural so I just kinda left it. Gonna pick up another emerald crab and more snails.

klok95330

I did some tests and found out that my magnesium was at 975!?

Since then, I have corrected that and I'm waiting for my levels to balance out. Ph was a bit low and my calc/alk was high.

These were my numbers when i found it:

Ph 7.6!!!
SG 1.023
Calc 525
Alk 15
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Mag 975!!

since i found it ive been dosing magnesium over the period of about a week.

Ph 8.0
calcium 420
alk 10
mag 1380
sg 1.025
phosphate 0
nitrate 0

hoping correcting this will help with the hair algae. I also killed a few aptasias with a syringe and lemon juice, seems to have liquified them...
i held off on getting another crab and snails. I might still pick up the snails and leave the crab out and instead maybe get a mexican turbo snail/urchin.. possibly.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not sure what version iphone you have, but they are getting to be almost as good as some point and shoot cameras. Looks good to me. :)

klok95330

The ph seems to be consistently low. not sure why exactly. I do know my apartment only has 1 window in each room and the balcony but because of the kids they are closed almost all day until they are in bed because we live on the 2nd floor. Corals all look good. Was playing with the idea of getting either a phosban reactor/skimmer/uv sterilizer.

I also got some extra money coming... I had to agree to let my wife get a cat..... so I can get some corals and a few magazines for my ar15 lol

she also is fine with me getting either a 29 biocube or a 40 gallon breeder :p

klok95330

the iphone is a 4. its my work phone, wife and I don't have our own cell phones because my work pays for it so I use it.... saves me a bill. once we get our house then we'll see if we cant fit that in. But I would like a HD camcorder that can really capture what my reef looks like.

klok95330

I have what resembles, a baby jelly fish in my tank. it is about 1/8 - 1/4 in in size. so its a baby if anything. Im going to post some pics in a bit when my phone charges. I just noticed it floating around in my tank exactly like a jelly fish would. Now I have in the past 2 months bought some new corals, is there a chance it hitch hiked along with it? I don't know if these corals were brought from the ocean or not. But I know I have what resembles a jelly fish in my tank. I have him netted but still in water for observation. What should I do? I only have 2 clown fish in this biocube 14