Seting up a 14 gallon biocube

klok95330

I would like to see some pics. I would like to avoid having equipment in the main display. Using an upgraded return pump with some clever plumbing to avoid having equipment in the display is a good idea. I would like to see how you worked it out. I'm always open to ideas that may help me out or help me achieve a better, more natural looking display

ChrisOaty

yeah, that was my goal too, i had a koralia 1 in there at one point...but it was an eyesore. i completely took out the rear false wall and fabricated an overflow out of some 8" diameter pvc that i had lying around in the garage. made some diy liverock and siliconed the rubble to the overflow so that it looks a bit more natural...like a live rock wall. I have about 25 lbs of live rock in the 5 gallon bucket i'm using for a sump for now and another 15lbs or so in the display. i'll be taking the rock out of the bucket soon, as I'm just curing it for my 60 gallon i'll be setting up downstairs. shot some pictures just now, i'll try uploading them real quick.

ChrisOaty

not sure if this will clear things up at all. the plumbing could be a lot neater, but that may have involved taking up more room in the small cabinet and adding more elbows, increasing my head.

IMG_20110528_082645.jpg
IMG_20110528_082554.jpg
IMG_20110528_082701.jpg

in the first picture, the pipe that goes up the highest is my return, which you can see in the third picture it splits left and right once inside the hood. the other two pipes are my full and partial siphon. in the cabinet, i normally have a reflector on the light, but i took it off for the picture as its kinda huge and blocks everything. hope this helps. let me know if you have questions.

klok95330

Ok so I got a check coming soon. I want to start piecing this tank together. First thing I wanna get is my lights I'm thinking. So should I get Metal Halide or LED lighting? I'm not familiar at all with LED lighting but I've seen many people with it and they say it does pretty good with low heat and power but it is expensive. It also may negate my need for a nano chiller would it not? If I did go the LED route which is a good setup for a 14 gallon? I want the biggest bang for my buck. Wife supports me on this purchase so it doesn't have to be a cheapy, I want reliability, stability and quality. I can do it myself or have one pre-made either way is ok with me. So long as I have instructions Ill get it working. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I also need a decent inexpensive RO/DI unit that can attach to a faucet. I live in an apartment and plan on doing weekly 2-3 gallon water changes. If you can put me onto a unit I would appreciate it. Also any accessories for it that would help me out without having to modify my apartment plumbing would be cool.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
if your changing lights on a 14 I would go LED, for that size tank your not looking at big bucks and the kits are really good now

klok95330

Well I was looking at nano tuners and for a 14 gallon and everything for the kit its like 350-400 bucks.

But I'm also looking for a RO/DI unit too though.

Anyone have ideas for a cheaper LED cree kit for a 14 gallon biocube?

klok95330

Ok so I found a clean water place not too far from where I live. They do RO water for 21-25 cents, but they also do RO/DI water for 71 cents a gallon. Not too bad. Only have a 14 gallon doing 10% is only 1-2 gallons a week plus the 1/2 gallon every week or two. Not too bad and it saves me like 400 bucks off a unit.

Picked up some API reef/marine test kits, 50 watt heater and a rio 800 for the return pump in the sump area.

klok95330

Long time no post. Sorry things have been hectic. I have 4 kids now. Wife just had another before christmas so plans kind of got put on hold. Ok so small update.

I ordered and have already received and set up my RO/DI system. I got it from bulk reef supply. It has a 5 stage set up with dual tds meter ( in and out ). Getting some money tomorrow. Ordering my media basket and refractometer, picking up some salt once I receive it and them I'm starting :)

klok95330

Ok. Bit the bullet today and ordered:

1. In tank media basket for biocube 14
2. Fish saver for back wall
3. Refractometer
4. NanoMag Magnetic Cleaner
5. Hydor Koralia Nano 425
6. JBJ Nano-Glo Led Fuge Light (4 LED, with suction cup to fix to the back of the glass, will razor blade it to make it clear in the back)

klok95330

Once these parts get here.... I'm putting it together. I know its been a while, 4 kids now and work, not as easy as it used to be and money is tight. But this check was an extra :) also waiting for a tax return. So we'll see. I have the LED kit already installed and RO/DI water is in it (no salt) with a rotating power head and RIO900 pump in the sump. Once parts get here I'm putting it together, then getting my live sand/salt/live rock and getting this puppy started

JoeCanada11

I know what it's like with a wife and kids. My hobby helps keep me sane at times. Can't wait to see the tank again.

klok95330

Yeah I hear that. I'm gonna be doing a reef tank. Only 1 fish, not sure which yet though, 1 cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails and still deciding on corals. But I'm starting slow. Once my live rock is in and cycle is done the first thing I'm adding amphipods so they can start growing. Then I'm adding some cheato in the back with the light (different photo periods). I'll have chemi pure/puri gen/carbon in the back media basket.