sessile nocturnal creature

lcstorc

sealife_closed.jpg

Sealife2.jpg

sealife1.jpg

This is on a piece of life branch

It opens only at night (tentacles out) it has not moved in 4 weeks -- so must be sessile

the stalks are clear with white "balls" at the ends (unbranched)

size of a nickle closed and closed to .5 dollar size open.

When closed looks hard (have not touched it) --just really curios what it is -- note it has "sand dollar marking when closed

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Agree on the ball anemone (aka strawberry anemone type). Actually they are corallimorphs (mushroom family). Unique little critters.

Dr Raven

I did some looking into this after you mentioned orange ball anenome -- seems it is a white ball anenome -- I just fed it a tiny cricket.

It seems people are very torn about good vs bad guy

I don't see how this thing can eat a fish or snail

My cleaner shrimp just got "zapped" by it trying to steal a cricket (which it eventually did (my 6 lined wrasse then beat up the shrimp for food and I gave it a second cricket -- this one is definitly the anemome's.

so what is the answer -- good or bad

ps -- on another forum some guy is was selling his for 200 -- does that sound right (it was sold)

lcstorc

I don't think I have seen one for sale. They generally come in as hitchikers. The thing I do need to point out is that our reef creatures should not be fed land based food. Their digestive system cannot break it down and there is always the possibility of something negative being introduced into the tank. Try feeding krill, mysism or pieces of silversides as treats for the tank.

Dr Raven

Thanks to both of you

I figured farmed raised crickets were safe (they are parasite free) but will do as you suggest in the future

just have a bunch of crickets rom all the other inverts I feed (spiders and such)

Very nice picture

anyone have any experience losing a fish or such to these guys???

Dr Raven

Thanks for the info

will stick to marine food

the cricket was farmed raised

any experience with these guys eating our tank inhabitants???

seafansar

I've never had a problem with them. I highly doubt they could eat a fish or anything. Mine have never gotten that big.