Serious Algae Issue

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
adjust skimmer to WET, if your getting dark gunk you are too dry, it should be green tea and LOTS of it, keep an eye on salinity as tea skim is about 30ppt salinity and will drop your overall quickly, everything else sound good, never used purigen or chemipure and what is seagel? and your cheato may fade away as the HA sucks up all the nutrient and starves it out

lcstorc

Do you have the tank in TOTAL darkness? Not just keeping the lights off but blocking all of the ambient light etc. That will really do the trick.

Jimw369

Id clean the LR as best as I can and cook it for a few mos in a garbage can or tub.

Get my substrate cleaned up or replaced and start over. With no fish in the tank this is the easiest way out. IMO

Frankie

RS STAFF
I don't know what to tell you that hasn't already been said. Good luck dude!
Mind if i set that picture a my background? :D That is some doo!

Tru2nr

well you have it grown much higher then i did but i had a seriouse algae problem...was using tap water for 6months and was lowering a lower K rating for my pc lightning...and my tank is opposite to my sliding door in my apt mmmmm heh just check my chronical

dianezoo

My sons 18 gal hex has the same problem looks just as severe. He is very discouraged. We tried the sea hare, it creature didnt touch it and eventually died.
Im thinking of doing this nex: pull as much off by hand. Remove the rock into another bucket with tank water and no lights for 2 -3 days then scrub it under water with a brush rinse and put back in the tank... will that do it?
This tank only has two large rocks and both are "hairy".

Snelly40

wow, this is a nice lawn!
Like many others trying to help we have been through this. I had some nasty algea about 4 months ago too and it came out of nowhere.
My issue was undetectable phosphates, but as soon as i started using rowa-phos all the algea dissapeared, i also added some mexican turbos and they ate away.

The key is to find, as said above, what is fueling the outbreak!!!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
"Sasquatch - I use RO/DI water from my LFS", LOL one time in Indonesia on a tour we went to a restaurant, bottled water for everyone, half way thru the bottle it dawns on me the cap was not sealed, well after numerous applications of imodium all was good. Moral of the story? take a tds meter to the lfs, he might be selling you tap water

Tru2nr

agree about the lfs selling bad ro/di i've seen it before from personally working in a LFS and they had two diff. systems one that wasn't really taken care of for customer tanks and another that was for stores tank that was always checked

Well gang - after about a week, here's what we have now:

DSC_0006-22Apr-web.jpg

DSC_0008-22Apr-web.jpg

Here's how it went down ... 4/14 of course, the beginning of hades and panic. LOL

4/15 - pulled as much HA out by hand as possible. Real messy situation even if you do pull the rocks out. When I put the rock back in the tank, I still had little HA pieces floating around the tank coming off the rock.

4/17 - powered down lights on tank, still had ambient light, but by end of first day HA already looked to be discoloring some. Also put seagel, chemipure, and purigen in the sump (helps with phos, nitrates, and clarity of water)

4/19 - bought 5 turbo snails that seemed to start to work on some of the HA

4/20 - HA very yellowish in color after 4 days of lights being turned off. Not to mention my poor cheato turned into a mess of lightweight thread. (Good thing I had an abundance in my other tank)

4/21 - turned lights back on and watched tank over the next 24 hours.

4/22 - today, I scrubbed down the rock with the most of the HA left on it in R/O water in a bucket and placed back in tank, will continue to monitor. Also added some fresh cheato from my other tank to assist in soaking up nitrates before the HA can get to them again. :)

Seems it may have been my dry rock which wreaked havoc on everything, even my skimmer went ballistic for a bit when I first put it in. Took some tests today and water quality seems to be leveling out pretty well:

Phos: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
PH: between 8.0 - 8.3

I think, at least I hope the worst is over, will probably wait a couple more days and start putting in some purple up again. I believe it was the dry rock, but if the HA begins to grow again when putting the purple up in, then I'll know it's that instead.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help, hopefully my time line can help someone else down the road.

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good work so far! Now you need to get coralline to grow all over that rock. It will help keep future out breaks from occurring. Whats the calcium testing at?

Just measured Calcium ...

CA: 260

I have some argamilk that will help with that situation, will probably start dosing tomorrow to see if it helps out as well along with the purple up. :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Ok lets not blow it now that you have something to work with. ;) Araga milk and purple up are not good products. I don't want to start into why but try to by pass all that and get you using stuff that will actually work without tossing your whole tank int the drain.
Stuff like Turbo-Calcium
and Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium or if you want to try liquids there is Alkalinity & Calcium Marine Supplements: Two Little Fishies C-Balance
I have used both the top two in the past with great results (prefer the Seachem) and have heard good things about the C balance.

Really? I had read decent things about purple up (more good than bad) and I use argamilk in my 29 Gallon and the calcium is around 440 ppm.

Thanks in adavance

bigfish

marc weiss makes a miracle product called algae magic. it really works within a week all that algae will be gone i swear by it! not very much either and it is safe with all corals and fish~ let me know how it goes

Frankie

RS STAFF
Really? I had read decent things about purple up (more good than bad) and I use argamilk in my 29 Gallon and the calcium is around 440 ppm.

Thanks in adavance
first you need to understand why you are adding stuff to your tank A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Then you can go from there. I have seen some poor results with purple up usage. I know this personally because i too looked for the easy way out. After battling nuisance algae and water parameters for quiet some time I finally had to stop ad learn from articles like this what i was doing wrong.
Here is a list of stuff you can sink your teath into. Reefkeeping Online Magazine - Chemistry
Have fun!

johnmaloney

Strong CUC + competition (macro algae or mangroves)+ trimming from you = no more hair algae. real easy to get rid of if you work at it a little bit. You got the chaeto...good.. you got 4 turbos...okay, but weak... you are putting in the time...awesome...you can afford to keep the lights off for extended periods...will make it so easy.

Keep us posted!