Septic Tank Issues . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking just now as I cleaned my skimmer cup. Thanks goodness I don't "toss my cookies" easily! It was AWFUL! Not sure WHY it was worse than usual but by golly it was soo bad!!

largo

I have about 320g in my system and I nowhere near dump out 100g a week. Is that your planned water change cycle? I dump 80g every 2-2.5 weeks.
Just curious!?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Largo my current water change schedule is approximately 20% - 30% +/- a week. I have a 90 Reef (90Dt, 29g Sump, 18g Fuge), 12g & 10g systems.

In the new home I'll have:
90g system
12g system
10g system all in addition to the "Big" system.

Right now my "plans" are to have a large DT built into the house but in the basement I'm planning several large "containers" for sump, Fuge, and Frag systems. The DT will be 300+ but I'll probably have that much or more in the basement systems.

This is a great thread lol i have always dumped my water down the tub drain i live in the sticks so i have septic. All thoe i havnt noticed any back ups or changes in drain time wise so i think its good or else i might figure out how to boil and re use salt or just use it to water the plants in the summer time but i could do brackish tank lol or brackish pond but for now on i am saving my water in jugs for my gmas tank she plans on starting back up....

thomas

jnohs

ok here is my thoughts. while I think it is obviouse that the salt is no good for septic systems. But i dont belive that it is worse then soapy washing machine or dishwasher or body wasking waster water full of soaps and if your a plumber or mechanic oil allso. If i had a septic system i would not put a seprate system in. Reason being with a seprate system there will never be good waste water aka a massive poop helping the bacteria going in there and now totally building up the scondary system much quicker. Also that sounds like twice the head-ach. I never like over complicating the "wheel".

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good points but if I go with one septic I can't get it approved. Since it's already "noted" and documented they are considering the amount of waste-water roughly equivalent to another bathroom and the current layout isn't approved for that. So we're going to have it's own septic system. I'm not worried about "bacteria" because it wont have waste put into it. It's more of a "Drainage" system than anything else.

acemow

Ummm I just dump my old SW and skimmate over the fence on the neighbors' lawn when it's dark out... just kidding although I'd like to. I actually dispose of it in the granite landscape stones around the house, so it doesn't kill grass or drain into the FW canal we live on. Living in SW Florida, there's lots of salt and brackish water around.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ummm I just dump my old SW and skimmate over the fence on the neighbors' lawn when it's dark out... just kidding although I'd like to. I actually dispose of it in the granite landscape stones around the house, so it doesn't kill grass or drain into the FW canal we live on. Living in SW Florida, there's lots of salt and brackish water around.

I put it out onto my drive-way right now but this will be a much larger system and it will be "plumbed" into a drain system so water changes will be a matter of valves and no bucket lifting.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's similar but I'm afraid the "concentrations" will be much higher than even the worse case scenario in the study. Man that was some small text :)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
psst.. saltwater swimming pools? in your case it would be the eco correct thing to do. a brief copy/paste

How Does It Work? Answer: As the name would suggest; salt water swimming pools involve the process of adding salt (about 20 lb. Per: 1,000 gallons) to your pool water. The water is then moved by the pump through cells consisting of titanium plates that are electrically charged; converting the salt into pure chlorine.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
*** Update***

I think this is now a "Moot Point" .... the lot I have is now on "City Sewer" so I wouldn't have to worry about an "Auxiliary" septic system for the tanks.

Uslanja

Hello All! Interesting question. I have been doing the country living thing for many years now, (going on 32 years actually). Way back when, my water softener installer asked if I wanted the brine solution emptied into my septic or into the yard. At first I was leaning towards the yard, however he produced some documents that indicated through studies that salt in the septic tank actually creates an environment that the bacteria thrive and bloom in. Being as a septic system works on bacteria, I chose to empty the brine directly into my septic tank. (Looking at the brine solution in my softener, it appears to be much more saline than marine aquarium water). I pump the septic tank out as a matter of routine maintenance every 7 years. I have never experienced significant sludge in either chamber, never had a plugged baffle and never had a weeping tile blockage. I am actually considered stretching my maintenance schedule out further, maybe every 10 years. Anyway, from my experience nothing detrimental has happened to my system from draining my softener salt into the septic tank. I am a fan of saltwater into the septic and would recommend it! My 2 cents for what ever it is worth!

Take care
Dave