Seahorses

We went out of town the other day and found a fish store and they actually had seahorses in stock for $25 a piece. They are tank bred and actually eat frozen food as well as pods. They are living in our BioCube that was setup just for seahorses. So far they are doing good. eating and swimming around

ReefApprentice

Pictures? Best of luck to you for keeping them healthy. If ever need Reefs2Go sell pods and their great! Want to see a constant update on how these guys do.BY any chance do you know the species?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Start a Seahorse tank thread and post some pictures.
I used to have a friend that had a seahorse tank & she fed them baby guppies.
It was a pain to always find live food so it's good yours are eating other things.
Best Wishes!!

Akshay

Two pluses here.. 1. they are eating frozen food 2. seperate tank

I had a pair for an year & half, used to eat frozen baby shrimp... but later on it got to a point where I had to feed each one individually.
I think as they grow older they get a bit stubborn/loose interest. Would take abt 45-60mins just to entice them to bite.
Swore off them post that.

I think it is best to have a live feed culture going side by side & have a live feeder in the tank. It releases the live feed drop by drop into a clear feeding tube.
The horses see em coming and go into hunting mode, chasing the prawns. Keeps them interested and on the hunt over the longer term.

Sad to say that both if the seahorses have passed. Not sure what happened, they were lively on day then one by one the were done. Not sure if I want to try again later.

Zenergy

BioCube is now completely taken down and restarted my 36 gal bowfront

I have a lot of experience with several species of seahorses, if you want to try again I can help you troubleshoot what went wrong. Something that gets my attention off the bat is the low cost - regardless of what your LFS tells you, at that price probably not tanked raised. It takes an immense amount of time, money, and experience to raise them, the reason why you pay good money for a healthy seahorse properly trained and raised on frozen mysis shrimp. I also train my seahorses to come to me when the pumps go off for feeding - they should be more interested over time and not less or you are doing something wrong. All mine will dart across the tank for food if they see it (have well over a dozen in four tanks and all diff species) and doesnt take long until they actually follow me around when I just come up to the tank :)

StirCrayzy

Zenergy, if you are willing, id like to hear more about your setup and experience.
Start a chronicle and add the link under your avatar.!
And welcome to RS !

I've been looking at getting a couple seahorses, trying to research success and failures.