Seahorse Macro algae?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Tank specs:
  • 65 gallon (36 x 18 x 24)
  • Temp: 70-72 deg (+/- 2.0)
  • Light: 234 watts -- Current Nova Extreme Pro (6 x 39 watt T5 bulbs (3 10k, 3 actinic))
  • Sandbed: 3" aragonite sand
Which macro algaes will do okay givin the above specs?

Thanks!

panmanmatt

Any of the macro algaes will do good under those lights. Some of my favorites are caulerpa prolifera ( a broad leaf caulerpa), caulerpa racemosa ( grape caulerpa), codium, and red grape algae which is a Botryocladia species.

You gonna make the plunge into seahorses too, Doni?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks!
Yes. I will be stocking a 65 gallon soon. It will have a small sump, chiller and be filled with macro algae.
I am trying to decide where to purchase two pair of colored erectus from...

panmanmatt

Glad to hear you're getting into this side of the hobby. You'll really enjoy it.

I wouldn't waste your money trying to buy coloured erectus, they change colour randomly. You are going to pay quite a bit more for a coloured seahorses and it does not come with a guarantee to stay that colour. Selling by colour is just a sales gimmick to gouge more money from the customer.

The key is to get healthy ones. My recommendation is to get them from Seahorse Source, the ultimate place for captive bred seahorses., they don't sell by colour so all their horses are the same price. All of their horses are top notch regardless of colour. Most are some shade of yellow but not all. I have one female here from them that is bright orange and others that are more of a tan/cream colour or a dull yellow.

SeahorseBT

Seahorse source has some juvi's coming up soon that will be covered in cirri. I recently got 2 from them and will be getting another. I am very pleased. You're going to love them Doni! If I could only have one tank it would be seahorses. I am up to 10 adults 4 juvis and 100ish fry at various ages. Go with at least 2 pairs to start. You can do more than that down the road in that tank size, but once you have bred clown fish, I would imagine seahorses would be easy for you.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Seahorse source has some juvi's coming up soon that will be covered in cirri. I recently got 2 from them and will be getting another. I am very pleased. You're going to love them Doni! If I could only have one tank it would be seahorses. I am up to 10 adults 4 juvis and 100ish fry at various ages. Go with at least 2 pairs to start. You can do more than that down the road in that tank size, but once you have bred clown fish, I would imagine seahorses would be easy for you.

I have already placed my order with her to get two when they are ready :D Thanks for the heads up though :thumbup:

I need to start a new thread about my seahorse tank...

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think you will get better nutrient uptake with the cheato then you will with halimeda. The halimeda would be nice for decorations though and a grab place for the SH. I would stay clear of any grape caulerpa or macro's that can go Asexual.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I agree that caulerpa should be avoided, but I feel you get steadier nutrient uptake by using a variety of macros. Right now in my 90, my chaeto isn't growing so well, but the gracillaria is. In a month that may reverse.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree that caulerpa should be avoided, but I feel you get steadier nutrient uptake by using a variety of macros. Right now in my 90, my chaeto isn't growing so well, but the gracillaria is. In a month that may reverse.

That's because they are competing with each other. If you have just one species you will see it will grow steady.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
That's because they are competing with each other. If you have just one species you will see it will grow steady.

Maybe competition is a a good thing. I added a golfball sized ball of chaeto to my sump 5 months ago, and it pretty much stayed the same size. About 3 weks ago I added a chunk of gracillaria, which is growing very well, and the chaeto has also about doubled in size in that time.

Really haven't done any other changes, other than planting a mangrove in the DT. I think there can be a case made for diversity

panmanmatt

its off subject. I was just wondering what all equipment do you need to have Sea horses?( UV, Skimmer, etc.)

A tank, filtration of your choice, lights adn that's about it. Skimmers are a good addition but needed, UV is a matter of personal preference.