Seahorse feeding when away

Tab964

I have a couple seahorses that will eay frozen mysis. But what happens if I have to go out of town for 2-5 days? Is there a device that will feed them? It seems that someone would have designed something for that.

chipmunkofdoom2

+1 on the tank sitter.

Give them $5-$10 a day and just have them feed and observe. Have them look at stuff like temperature and timers and all that as well. An untrained person might not be able to do much, but they can prevent catastrophes that could result from a faulty heater, bad return pump, or any of the other little problems that can snow-ball into disaster, as things tend to do with reef tanks.

MyCoralFarm

RS Sponsor
Hi Tab, what we normally do is keep a Mysis Culture and then use a small pump set on a timer of a few seconds to suck them from the culture tank and place them in the seahorse tank.

The horses love it as they are able to hunt all day. Let me know if you need help setting everything up.

chipmunkofdoom2

Hi Tab, what we normally do is keep a Mysis Culture and then use a small pump set on a timer of a few seconds to suck them from the culture tank and place them in the seahorse tank.

The horses love it as they are able to hunt all day. Let me know if you need help setting everything up.

Fresh automatic feeding! Great idea :thumbup:

Tab964

I did not think of the live option. But if you feed them live for a few days will they refuse the frozen?

MyCoralFarm

RS Sponsor
I did not think of the live option. But if you feed them live for a few days will they refuse the frozen?

should not be an issue, once they get to a system of accepting frozen food they should also be able to go back to frozen after a few days of live food.

panmanmatt

should not be an issue, once they get to a system of accepting frozen food they should also be able to go back to frozen after a few days of live food.

Not always the case and usually the exact opposite happens. If you stop frozen foods for 5 days chances are you will have to re-train them back to frozen foods. Some horses will convert some won't all depends on the individual seahorse. I have had some that have flat out refused live foods and would only eat frozen.

Your best bet is to have some one come in and feed for you while you are away. This way you are assured they are getting fed and getting enough. Not to mention that you are going to want to have someone come in and check the tanks anyway for top off and to make sure everything is going well.

Have to agree with the tank sitter option. Better safe than sorry.

Friends or family will hopefully be more reliable than the auto feeder and can check on other tank equipment. Maybe check with a local reef group to get a knowledgable person?

Tank sitter DEFINATELY! Try to get someone knowlegable. I ask the kids from my LFS. just make sure you put your valuables away.
The last year, we vaca'ed for 3 weeks, and asked the housesitter to feed, and moniter, but he didn't know to watch the temps (this was prechiller). It was really hot when we were gone and the tanks got too warm, which caused a viral/bacterial bloom, and 1 week later all 20 horses were dead.
Moral of the story, find a tank sitter that knows about tanks, or if you can trust your LFS, bring your horses in and ask them to BBsit. I've done this too, but I spend hours a week @ the shop and I know everyone there.
HTH