seahare food?

jnohs

I had a red carpte alge growing on all my sand bed and purchased a sea hare to eat the alge. witch he did to no avail. also i might add that my skimmer has been working over time and spueing out tons of gook. I think as a result of my sea hare eating the alge and turning it into something that the skimmer could pull out of the water colum. now that there is no food for him left to eat i was wondering if i could give him cheto or caulpera from my refiguem to feed him? i also no that this is a counter productive action to feed with the very alge i am supposed to be useing as a nutrient export. I owned a seahare a long time ago but he got stuck on an intake and died. then i bought an other one to clean my tank up and i think he starved. he wouldnt eat the dried kelp.:flame:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have done the same thing as you. I've had a few of them and each has met a different fate (mostly powerheads & intakes). What I do now is "Pimp him out" to local reefers in order to keep him fat & happy and help clean their tanks of algae.

good luck :)

shale

I feed my sea hare green sea veggies or nori. I usually just rubber band a piece to a rock and drop it down to the sand. She seems to love the stuff. So much so that she's been ignoring some of the hair algae that's started to grow among the branches of the caulastrea. :/

jnohs

I have done the same thing as you. I've had a few of them and each has met a different fate (mostly powerheads & intakes). What I do now is "Pimp him out" to local reefers in order to keep him fat & happy and help clean their tanks of algae.

good luck :)

i am happy to see that there are people out there that purchase them mainly to clean house like me. but i would like to keep it.

can i grow norie? in my refiguem

Anselth

I don't think so. You'll have to buy the sheets from the grocery or pet store. However, there's no guarantee that the sea hare will eat it.

Varga

Dunno about a hare, but the sea slug does not eat norie. I'd only assume the hare wouldn't eat it either.

koffee

My sea hare eats red macro algae. I forget the name, and the LFS has been out for a while. Actually, I have never seen the sea hare eat any, but I notice that the algae vanishes, and bright orange sea hare poop is on the sand.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think so. You'll have to buy the sheets from the grocery or pet store. However, there's no guarantee that the sea hare will eat it.

I've had a "few" And haven't had any eat NORI at all. Just my luck ..... That's why I "Pimp them Out". This way they eat healthy and do a service to other's tanks. They keep it a couple of weeks and he's back home again.

:)