SeaChem Purigen

recole

Have any of us used Seachem's Purigen? Is this stuff any good? I have a 75 gal mixed tank with 15 gal sump? My sump has a sock at the drain with protein skimmer at one end , with a middle resorvoir for return and a 3 gal refugium at the other end. ( By the way, I clean my sock on a regular basis)If you have used this Purigen, where do I place this stuff in the sump? Hopeing it will reduce nitrates. All other chem parameters are good. Thanks to all, Ron.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I use it. It did little to lower my nitrates. However, I have a large bioload. It's more for helping to keep nitrates down rather than decreasing an already high nitrate level. I do believe that it helps remove other toxins from the water though, that's why I still use it. Framerguy uses it too. He has to rejuvenate his 2-3 time a month because it turns black.

flricordia

I might put mine back in. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of putting it in one of these Canister Filters: Rapids Mini Canister Filter at Drs. Foster and Smith I have lying around rated at 80gph with no bypass.
I used the purigen for about 2 months in a canistar filter but it never would change color. Think maybe it may be a bad batch and I need to get another? I have heard it is a good product so i tryed it, but like I said, it never changed color for me.

DaveK

... I have heard it is a good product so i tryed it, but like I said, it never changed color for me.

I suspect that this could be caused by maintaining high quality water to start with. Seachem's Purigen just may have very little to pick up. It may be more of a case where your system just doesn't need it.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Is the seachem purigen like the polyfilters or are they totally different product? Polyfilters change different colors depending on what is absorbed but they can not be recharged.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The Purigen works ok as far as a water polisher but if you want to remove nitrates the best product i have found is Pura NitrateLock. This stuff will pull you nitrates down to 0 in about a week from 40.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The Purigen works ok as far as a water polisher but if you want to remove nitrates the best product i have found is Pura NitrateLock. This stuff will pull you nitrates down to 0 in about a week from 40.

Good to know Frankie. The trAtes in my reef are zero but I expect an issue with my hospital tank. If I can't keep them under control via water changes, I will try that product.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Wow!! That's pretty strong sounding! I wonder what the shelf life of that product is?

Allen :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I've been researching Pura Nitratelock and it sounds pretty good! The directions indicate storing it in its recharge solution. The number of recharges is about 24.
I have ordered 1 liter of it to try in my hospital tank (when not using treatments of course). I will let you know how it does.

framerguy

I use it. It did little to lower my nitrates. However, I have a large bioload. It's more for helping to keep nitrates down rather than decreasing an already high nitrate level. I do believe that it helps remove other toxins from the water though, that's why I still use it. Framerguy uses it too. He has to rejuvenate his 2-3 time a month because it turns black.
The intervals for rejuvinating my purigen are getting longer the longer I use it. I believe my tank is much more stable now so it takes 3-4 weeks for the purigen to need a recharge. I have mine in a small homemade 3"pvc chamber along with phosgard and carbon. My return has a T with a valve that slowly directs some of the return water to this chamber and this water returns to the sump. It's kind of a "polishing" chamber if you will. Since so much water is forced slowly through these cleaning agents, I think it picks up a lot of other debris which makes my recharge turnover so frequent. HTH

djbacon

anybody have injstructions on how to recharge purigen, I have heard you can soak it in a1:1 water bleach mixture, but how do you ensure the bleach is fully rinsed out to non toxic levels before adding it back to your tank?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I think Pura NitrateLock is nonsense and so does Randy and Habib. My theory is it is acting like Amquel Plus and is just masking the Nitrates, giving false test kit readings. Meaning, if you tested that same water with a ICP the nitrates will show up. I challenged them at MACNA to prove it to me or explain it to me chemically how it works and they were lost. I had them talking in circles ever time I threw it a comment as to how it can't :) They have zero data of it working in seawater. FW is another beast. Why ? It is an ion exchange resin, which works about nil in seawater. Think of it like a DI resin for your RO/DI

Purigen is fine to use and is a nice addition or sup to carbon as it is good at removing some organics carbon has issues with.

Directions

Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh filter bag. Each 1 L treats up to 4,000 L (1,000 gallons*) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, Prime™, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer™, Neutral Regulator™, or Acid Buffer™). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen™ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen™ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I'll have to take back my earlier assessment of this product. After using it for that duration and having good test result I discontinued using it. Not very long after, (say a few days) my nitrates started to rise again. Shortly after that I started changing my system over to Zeovit and forgot about this thread.
It makes sense now that I have read Boomers masking explanation on just how this product worked in bringing my test results down. And why I had such a fast rise in nitrates after.