Sea horse help. I want to buy a pair

I am in the process of cycling a small nano tank to but a pair of seahorses in and to breed pods for my reef tank. Anybody have suggestions or any for sale?

yankieman

This is a subject close to my heart ,, since I know nothing about raising SeaHorses I will follow this closely because I want to do the same thing ,,, good luck and I hope you get the answers your looking for ,,,,,,for both of us!!

Seahorses should be kept in large dedicated systems not small nanos. But if ur gonna do it anyways get a refugium and lots of LR to keep the copeopod supply up good luck. Also they like plants in the DT.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I have never kept em. I started doing research on their requirements, and abandoned the project. They require a tank that is dedicated to sea horses, no agressive tank mates, live food, steller water parameters, and the tank has to be a Tall tank. depending on the breed, 30 inches or taller is recommended. They need lots of things to hold on to, ie decorative micro algae(making lighting a challange cause the tank has to be deep). They need lots of vertical swim space. They are notorously picky eaters, and they arent very fast swimmers. Live misid or brine shrimp is required. And everything i read makes them seem so delicate that only a decated and experienced aquariust should attempt it. if the water parameters, or temperature get off even a bit, they get sick. If the salinity gets too high, too low, or changes too quickly, they simply flip over and die.

I think they are wonderful animals, but i dont want to risk killing them personally. I work 12 hrs a day 5-7 days a week. I dont ahve the time to care for them properly.....or the equipment.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You could keep dwarf seahorses in a nano, but I'm not sure that is what you are asking about.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yes, they have pretty specific needs. You might get away with some soft corals in the tank with them and some snails for clean up but other than that, mainly seahorses and macroalgae.