Test results today were,
PH - 8.4
SG- 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.5 ppm
Nitrate - 50 ppm
Calcium - 500 ppm
Alkalinity - 2 (just under midrange ?)

Live rock started turning brown couple of days ago and is pretty much covered now so hopefully it's on the right track.
Now some questions :)

1. The N02 & N03 seem high yet Ammonia is still at 0. Could the Ammonia have already peaked ?

2. My understanding is that NO3 is kept in-check through water changes, but since I'm only cycling do I just wait until NO2 has dropped to 0ppm before worrying about N03 results ?

3. How often, and long, should the skimmer be on ?

4. One of my two moonlights is not working. Spoke to local rep who provided me with part number for replacement LED harness, I've ordered the 130D four LED version. Anyone find four gives too much light ? I'm almost thinking that one LED has been good.

Regarding my problem with the return pumps pumping air, I cut the course filter sponge in half and this has improved water levels enough I think. I still seem to be getting puffs when the skimmer is on though.

Also thinking of adding the intake box strainer the 130D has.

Thanks
Scott
Australia :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Going slow cycling always a good idea, I would add a deli shrimp to just start the ammonia

On skimmer... I would run it a few hours a day, to just break it in, not really needed yet.

You want the in tank skimmer cup... on a 130D without it, that your pump sucking air problem, add it & move it to 1/4" from it's top position & add sw to get water level in the water window to near the top line

scottb721

Came home today and the tank was at 29degC. Can only think it's the light doing it. The heater turned way down.

Wonder if anyone has bothered trying to mount the ballast remotely, like in the stand.

And here's a pic of my skimmate. Seems to be working good, and this is just with rock.
n6wuz.jpg

Last edited:

scottb721

going to order me one of those rear hood fans i think.
I unknowingly scored a chiller with the tank so that may get a use this summer.

scottb721

I might pass up on buying the rear fan then and just buy the chiller pass-thru adaptor 'thingy' straight up. Because I don't have the 130D none of these were included. Twice the price here in Australia for the parts though :-(

If I can relocate the light ballast from the hood to the cabinet that may go a long way towards heat reduction I think, or at least hope.

Did another tank test last night. Amm still at 0 and NO2 and 3 both still high. As soon as NO2 is back down I think the cycle is done.

Ok time for some more pics. What on earth is the thing with white legs in the first pic ????
My brown algae has started to be replaced with red and green too.
vZ8O5.jpg
eMEhC.jpg

3eOQO.jpg

scottb721

Brittle starfish - I have a bunch, good members of the cuc - LR looks great !
Thanks. I've since discovered 3 more in the tank.

Also added the some of the RSM NitroBac to the tank. I neglected to use it at the start. See what it does to my high NO2 readings over the next few days.

scottb721

Ok, found more critters. The crab turned out to be an empty shell. Found some slug thing grazing on the back wall. Turns out he's hoeing through the rock algae too. Hopefully not a baddie.
H1k0K.jpg
bwoiM.jpg

Last edited:

pocketreef

Hi Scott,

It looks like a sea hare but there are several nudibranches that look similar. I would not remove it as this animal could help you eating all algae. If really a sea hare it will die of starvation when it does not find enough algae.

Happy reefing

scottb721

Hopefully coming to the end of cycling soon. Ammonia is at 0 and Nitrites are looking to be under 0.2 but not quite into the blue or green test colour yet.

Today I've relocated skimmer pump power lead to a timer in the cabinet. I cut a tiny notch in the rear lid so it can be opened fully without contacting the skimmer lead.

Still awaiting delivery of a 130D surface skimmer box and 4 LED moonlight kit :-(

Something I did think of today was wiring the skimmer pump to the AC power that feeds the light ballast. Even when manually switched the Skimmer is generally toggled when the lights switch.
Would simply be a case of stripping the wires and connecting into the ballast input. Hood removal would be a pain though so I've just gone with the cabinet timer for the foreseeable future lol

scottb721

Couple of short vids. First the sea hare thing, second just a quick once over of the tank. LR went in 3 weeks ago today.
[video]http://youtu.be/KTWJTrHxE1A[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/2oio8B6PjX8[/video]

scottb721

Another week and a bit in and a total of 4.5 weeks cycling so far since LR was added. Added 2 hermit crabs and 3 snails on the weekend (not the ideal CUC probably but all the shop had left)
Tested water again today and NO2 still sitting around 0.1ppm, really hard to tell as the test result is so clear, although it doesn't have the super slight green tint I got when I tested fresh RO water.
This last 0.1 seems to be taking ages.
NO3 only at about 20ppm but I did do a 25% WC last week.

Got my surface skimmer attachment last week so that's been a treat. LFS said my replacement 4LED moonlight will have to come from overseas, none in Australia :-(