Scott's new Red Sea Max C-250

Scottwolver

I am finally going to sit down and start this new tank thread. I am about 4weeks into this new journey and I am having a blast. The "novelty" hasn't worn off yet in fact I may becoming "obsessed" with this new hobby of mine!!!! ( I think calling it a "hobby" may be doing it a grave injustice!).

My brother and I has a saltwater tank back in the 70's (how did anything live back then?!!) but I have done nothing since then.

I am running basically a stock C 250 with the only adds (so far..lol) being two MP 40's (too much?..but the second one was such a good deal on e-bay.. couldn't resist....lol) and a Tunze 3155 which I haven't installed yet.

I have 65 lbs of tukani live rock (with a little tonga fusion in for diversity) and 80 lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive special grade reef ( with a little fiji pink for diversity..wish I hadn't done that..too fine).

The tank cycled reasonably quickly and all the parameters look pretty good so far ( I think)

Ph- 8.0-8.2, NH3- 0, NO2-0, NO3- 5-10
Ca- 420-440, KH- 8-9, PO4- .25-.5

I have a pair of Black Ice Clowns that seem very happy and the start of a CUC ( few snails, few hermits, a couple of peppermint shrimp). Think I am on the down side of a mild Diatom bloom. Algae on the glass and here and there but nothing overwhelming. ( I know it i WILL happen..but I love to delude myself)

I did go ahead and get my first coral, a nice DuncanFrag ( 2 heads), probably too early I think but it is doing okay so far.

I will get a picture posted as soon as I can figure it out.

So far things have gone pretty well but I have so much to learn and a ton of questions. I am trying to be very patient ( I hear it is a virtue) but it is not one of my strengths.

I do want to thank all of you on Reef Sanctuary for helping me to avoid a lot mistakes I otherwise would have undoubtedly made. What great information and great people.

Now where did I put that camera.....

Cheers,

Scott

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Once you load pics to photobucket (they host them) - just right click on them, get the url and add it in this syntax

If I can help, let me know :) or if you get an error when you paste it in, leave it & I will fix :) and show you want you needed

Big Pete

Hi Scott

i totally get you, i am a freshwater guy who just got into Saltwater and i am loving it, i still have my freshwater tank but it is totally boring compared to the cut and thrust of saltwater, there is always something going on.

enjoy the forum and i am glad you have joined.

cheers

Big Pete

newo11

Two MP-40's! Now that is some flow in the tank! I see an SPS obsession in your future....

Scottwolver

Many Obsessions in my future I am afraid!! Current obsession is putting together a stocking list for the tank. I am not in a big hurry to add the fish I just want to know where I am headed ( in general at least) so I don't unintentionally eliminate any options. Right now I have a pair of Black Ice Clowns. The rest of the gang is looking as follows:

-Flasher Wrasses-- Love these. Would like a McCoskers and one other flasher (yellow fin/red fin/ filamented/ carpenters,etc.) ( also love the fairy Wrasses but my tank isn't really big enough and I want "happy" fish.)
-Assessors yellow or blue- Maybe 2? would love to try to mix but doesn't feel like a good idea. Would welcome thoughts
-Orchid Dottyback
-Neon Goby
-Tailspot blenny

I would welcome all thoughts, comments, concerns or alternative suggestions.

Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited:

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
-Assessors yellow or blue- Maybe 2? would love to try to mix but doesn't feel like a good idea. Would welcome thoughts
-Neon Goby

I have a yellow assessor, great fish except for the fact mine lurks in the shadows, basically only see him at feeding time.

I had a neon goby, great little fish but they have short life spans and are, in my opinion, too small for the RSM 250.

Haven't had any others on your list.
The Blenny, while really cool looking, looks to be quite small as well.
Maybe a couple larger fish?

Snid

I like some of your fish choices, however, I think you need to consider if your tank is going to be semi-aggresive, aggressive, or peaceful. You listed a mix there, and I fear that some of the more aggressive fish will constantly harass the more peaceful ones, if not kill them. I like using LiveAquaria.com as an initial reference tool because their listings tell you the size of fish, temperament, feedings, level of care, temperature range, tank size, etc...

Here's a link... http://www.liveaquaria.com/

Scottwolver

Good advice. I was kind of hoping I might be able to get by with the dottyback but it probably isn't worth taking any chances. Any suggestions for other fish that would work in a "peaceful plus" grouping?

Thanks

When I had mine setup, I had two clowns, coral beauty, starry blenny, copper banded and a mccoskers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scottwolver

A quick update: Everything is still going well. I changed my stocking list a bit. To the Black Ice Clowns I have added a Randall's shrimp goby and a yellow assessor. The assessor or "Lemony" as one of my daughters named him is the coolest fish. Sideways, upside down- definitely secure in himself!

I have also started to add a few corals. Nothing too hard ( I hope) and they seem to be doing ok.

I should probably slow down a bit but every time I see an interesting coral I want it!!

Thinking about next fish but in no hurry. Would love a flasher wrasse or two and maybe a few chromis but I read so many bad things about chromis taking each other out.

CUC- afew snails, couple of hermits ( I am not sure I like these guys..I am a bit suspicious about some "undesirable activity").

Oh if you look closely in the middle swim through you can get a blurry image of lemony

Pat24601

Sweet. What are the two blue corals on the lower right? And what us by it that kind of looks like an eel or a Blenny to me?