Scott's New Red Sea Max C-130

Oxylebius

I am one who likes the T5HO lights that come with the tank. I switched out the RSM bulb combo and I'm instead using ATI bulbs. Easy to grow sps corals with T5HO lights. The issue that many find and dislike about the closed hood RSM tanks, is that the T5HO lights tend to over heat the tank, so many have had to either switch to LEDs or bought a chiller for the tank. I went the chiller route.

ScottHK

Any recommendations on a chiller? Been looking around a little bit and not sure which brand/size would be suitable and reliable for the C-130?

ScottHK

So I have had the rock in my 20 gal quarantine tank with RO/DI water, powerhead, and heater. Phosphate level is showing 0.25ppm and Nitrate 0.0ppm. Have already done a complete water change once. Wondering if I need to see Phosphate drop to 0.0 before the rock is "safe" to add to my main tank and get the cycle started.

Oxylebius

I tried out ATIs based on the videos below and I do love them.

I'm currently running from front to back of tank:
  • ATI Coral Plus
  • RedSea Actinic (peaks between 440-460nm)
  • RedSea10,000K
  • ATI RB Special
  • ATI Coral Plus
  • ATI Actinic (peak at 425nm and again at 450nm)
Blue LEDs: one strip along front and along the back of the lights above (on 24 hrs/day)

I have a 10K bulb in the mix for faster growth of corals (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/3/aafeature1). But, I think at this point I'm ready to stop using the 10K.

Two different actinics to hit two different peaks in the 400-500nm range for better fluorescence.

For a chiller I went with a JBJ Arctica. I have a RSM250 and use the 1/10HP.

ScottHK

So I finally got the tank up and running. Sorry for the sideways pictures now sure why they are loading like that. Used close to 40lbs of Marco dry rock for the scape and just under 1 bag of Fiji pink sand. Everything seems to be running good, I was surprised at how quickly the water cleared (less than 1 day). I have hooked up the Tunze ATO and it seems to be working flawlessly. Planning on adding a couple table shrimp to kick start the cycle. Since I am not using any LR in my tank this process will take a while but the patience will be worth not having to deal with any unwated hitchhiker.

Currently working on getting my 20gal quarantine tank up and running, should be up and cycling in the next day or two.

IMG_0603.JPG

ScottHK

I do have a question for all you experts out there. At what point should I be starting the use of the carbon bag as well as switching over to a product such as purigen?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
after the cycle is completed & when you start adding livestock

pretty tank and scape - great start:nessie:

@Travis any idea why the pic above hosted at RS when inserted goes sideways? If I open this url in a new browser window, it's normal & not sideways... if I insert it into a post, it show sideways as you see above,,, cheers !

ScottHK

Here we are on day 3. I removed the 2 table shrimp yesterday morning, girlfriend was not happy with the smell in the house. I added another one this evening to get some more ammonia in the tank.

Current test results are as follows:
Ammonia-0.5
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ph-8.0
Temp-80.0
Salinity-1.026

ScottHK

I am now on day 5 of running the cycle. Things seem to be progressing slowly (as expected). I have seen a rise in the ammonia level to 1.0ppm and the nitrites up to 0.5ppm. Nitrate still at 0. What level should the ammonia and nitrite be getting up to that shows a good cycle is going on?

How long should I expect this cycle to take given the fact I am using dry rock only? I have not seen any algae growth start yet and I am only running the lights about 5 hours a day.

Protein skimmer is shut down and I will likely not start it until I get further through the cycle. Any additional thoughts or insight would be much appreciated!

ScottHK

I am wondering if I can at some point replace the two stock 4 prong T5 bulbs with a combination of the ATI bulbs? I am not sure how it would work because everything is 2 prong. Has anyone ran into this issue when wanting to upgrade the stock T5s?

Oxylebius

I didn't realize yours were T5 power compact bulbs. Not the T5HO linear bulbs. I'm not sure if ATI or Giesemann make the four prong bulbs. Need to look into it more.

ScottHK

So I took the plunge and ordered a set of Steve's LEDs C130 drop ins with the 14,000K Super Full Spectrum.

Cycle is progressing nicely. Water test last night showed:

Ph - 8.0
Salinity - 1.026
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 5+
Nitrate - 20

Will probably start the skimmer in the next few days to break it in and hopefully dial it in a little bit. Starting to see some ever so slight brown algae growth on the LS and rock (diatoms?). Is this normal for a new aquarium? Just want to make sure I am not letting algae growth get out of hand that isn't "normal".

Starting to think of the first fish I want to introduce, been to the LFS a few times looking at them but cant really decide.

Desmond

Nice looking setup. The algae is normal with the cycle. If you want to kill this you can just turn your lights off for a week and it will soon burn out. I had the exact same when i started my 130d.Liking youe scape. You could also add a shrimp to help boost the cycle a bit more in the tank.

ScottHK

okay so I started the skimmer up today. Had some major issues at first, wasn't able to handle the air valve wide open filled the skimmer cup in about 2 seconds. I installed the air valve regulator and have it set on pretty much the lowest setting which is allowing a small volume of air bubbles through. How long do these typically to break in where I can have the air valve full open without running a solid water column up the skimmer? My tank is looks like a giant aerator at the moment.

Also I was wondering what people have found the best place to place the ATO in the C130 sump. I currently have it on the wall between the skimmer compartment and the pump compartment with the sensor on the skimmer side. Since I just started the skimmer up I am not sure how the ATO will work with the variable flow out of the skimmer but I also do not want to have to remove the magnets every time I need to take out the media rack and clean the filter sponge. I like the location where its at because I have access to everything. Does anybody have advice on where they have put their ATO?

Thanks everyone!

ScottHK

It has been quite some time since I have posted on here. Have moved the tank twice going from a temporary living situation to my new house. I am pleased to say that the tank is doing great with some new inhabitants. Got a couple SPS and LPS corals along with a pair of clowns and a green bubble tip anemone. Also have a sea hare taking care of algae now for a few weeks and he is doing great!

With the new house of course I needed to get a nicer tank so I have ordered a RedSea Reefer 525xl! Should be getting delivered today. Ask myself a lot why we do this to ourselves but the passion is real, fiancé probably doesn't agree so much!