scooter dragonets

snowboss

Thinking about adding another scooter to my 55gal . It has been 2 mouths sents I added my 1st one . What do you think about them getting along?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You might can get male or female for a pair, depending on which dragonet you have now, but long term with these fish are difficult to keep due to its feeding habits. Two will require twice the food source, some have success over a year, but many lose them...

The male has the much longer dorsal fin... two males will fight, but you can have two females

They are lovely fish... fun to watch with great personalities. Sadly even with supplementing pods, I lost mine at around the one year mark and I tried again, the second one also lasted about a year, as much as I love them, I decided my tank just could not support them.

If you give two a go, check out Paul B pod feeder.

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-target-feeder-mandarinfish-pipefish-2804/

Last edited:

DaveK

I think adding another scooter dragonet would be a bad idea. It takes about 50 gal of water to produce enough pods for one of them. You'd need a lot larger tank for two. In a 55, two would wipe out the pod population, even if you supplemented their food.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
That's what I love to see snowboss - RESPONSIBLE reefkeeping! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

(And yes, you are also super lucky to have yours eat frozen food!)

-Jeff