Saying Hi

sambrinar

Welcome to RS,

I have never had a biocube, but I have had a nano,, and I will tell you bigger is better, much easier to maintain.. I now have a 75 gal.

Bigger is better.
They are a bit easier to maintain and more stable in my opinion. Water changes are going to be bigger though. :)
I would do some more research and find out what you are wanting to keep. What are your ultimate goals? Want to just do Soft corals, LPS, SPS? Get something that is capable of supporting what you want now, in the future or is easy to upgrade as you change your mind. :D

It's addicting! Consider yourself warned!! lol

hobbeslax

A friend of mine has a 14 gal biocube and it's his first SW tank. He loves it. If I remember right he has a damsel, some starfish and snails.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I started with a 10g, then 12g then 90g. The smaller the tank the less margin of error you have and the more "On your game" you have to be. I think a 55g system is the best bang for your buck for a beginner tank.

jonesy

I started with a 10g, then 12g then 90g. The smaller the tank the less margin of error you have and the more "On your game" you have to be. I think a 55g system is the best bang for your buck for a beginner tank.

BigAl i do agree and also disagree with this . as this (a 55gal) is what i started with and is my main tank ..a good tank for the money yes without a doubt .but is pretty narrow and cause of this i am running out of room very quickly . and will soon have to upgrade . no disrespect intended

DaveK

As you can see, size does matter. Generally I would agree with the other posts.

I'm also not a fan of the standard 55 gal tank. It's just too thin, front to back. On larger tanks, look for ones that are 18 inches wide, or wider.

To get back to the original post, about a 14 gal biocube. These smaller tanks can be real gems, especially if they are set up so that you can view it up close. However, due to their size they have many limitations. You will be limited to one or two small fish or shrimp, some corals, and a clean up crew. You will need to avoid livestock that just can't be kept in small tanks. As pointed out a small system has very little margin for error.

If you keep in mind the limitations a small system has, and you are sure you'll be content with them, then such a system may be for you.