Saving up for the new 2016 S650

jimsac65

We are hoping to have the new system by end of the year. This will be our first saltwater system; we figure, go big or go home. Should be an adventure...;-)

DaveR11

We are hoping to have the new system by end of the year. This will be our first saltwater system; we figure, go big or go home. Should be an adventure...;-)

Love my S-650 and the bigger the volume of water the easier it is to keep it stable. Best wishes on the new adventure!

DaveK

For a first SW system, I suggest you do what industry does. Set up a small pilot system first, and learn on that before you invest in a large system.

When your doing this for the first time, you will make some mistakes. Sometimes they are major. It's a lot better to make them on a small system where it's an easy job to change it around or even tear the tank down. It's a massive job to do this on a large system. You will also learn a lot and not repeat the mistakes later when you set up a large system.

For example, one easy mistake would be to use very fine sand, and then fine the filtration and circulation system blows it all around. Replacing the sand on a small system isn't too bad. On a large system it can be an all day job. Same thing for livestock. In a small tank, it's easy to remove a fish, even if you need to take all the rock out. This is almost impossible on a large system.

This small system will not go to waste. You can use it later for a quarantine system or to keep something that you can't keep in your normal reef.

Antics

I think there is some wisdom in the "beginner tank" approach. Like many things in life, its rarely a good idea to plunge into something, especially an expensive hobby like reef keeping, without any experience. Dipping your toes is certainly a good idea, especially if you're going to be saving money up for awhile.

Perhaps even consider going the AIO route on an IM Nuvo, JBJ, or Biocube just for some experience with the basics of the hobby.

jimsac65

For a first SW system, I suggest you do what industry does. Set up a small pilot system first, and learn on that before you invest in a large system.

When your doing this for the first time, you will make some mistakes. Sometimes they are major. It's a lot better to make them on a small system where it's an easy job to change it around or even tear the tank down. It's a massive job to do this on a large system. You will also learn a lot and not repeat the mistakes later when you set up a large system.

For example, one easy mistake would be to use very fine sand, and then fine the filtration and circulation system blows it all around. Replacing the sand on a small system isn't too bad. On a large system it can be an all day job. Same thing for livestock. In a small tank, it's easy to remove a fish, even if you need to take all the rock out. This is almost impossible on a large system.

This small system will not go to waste. You can use it later for a quarantine system or to keep something that you can't keep in your normal reef.
Great advice and we will be going with a smaller system to get our feet wet. I appreciate the feedback!

jimsac65

I think there is some wisdom in the "beginner tank" approach. Like many things in life, its rarely a good idea to plunge into something, especially an expensive hobby like reef keeping, without any experience. Dipping your toes is certainly a good idea, especially if you're going to be saving money up for awhile.

Perhaps even consider going the AIO route on an IM Nuvo, JBJ, or Biocube just for some experience with the basics of the hobby.
Agreed! We will be taking that advice and starting with something smaller first. Thank you!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics