Saving Energy

Paul B

Well it has been over a year since I installed solar panels on my roof and a 95% efficient condensing gas boiler.
I am happy to say that so far I have saved $3,320 this year in energy.
The solar panels have dropped in price by about half since then but with the rebates I received I still got them cheaper than I would today.
The super efficient boiler cost me less than $1,000 a year in gas and that is for heating 3 zones, hot water for two families and cooking.
My old oil burner used to cost me about $3,500.00 a year and that was just for heat.
This boiler paid for itself in one winter because I received $1,300.00 back in rebates and more in taxes.
(I always do all the work myself)
According to the solar readout I also prevented more than 9,000 tons of co2 from entering the atmosphere.
Today it is very sunny and I am generating almost 3,000 watts. My tank only uses about 650 watts.
The money I saved in utilities will buy enough boat gas to take some nice long trips.

Nice!

how many watts per panel is the solar rated? I have been interested for a few years but have been waiting for the new technology to allow more watts per panel. The HOA can be a pain sometimes!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Paul thanks for the update! I've been thinking about asking you and this is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm "Bookmarking" this page :)

Paul B

I did a test today and turned off my solar panels on my roof. Today is a light electricity day because there is no AC on or heat.
According to my power usage meter (pictured) today I am spending 7 cents an hour for electricity. Not very much.
I turned off the solar array and the price jumped up to 15 cents an hour.
My bill is more than cut in half and I am real happy about that. Of course today is a beautiful sunny day, the savings are not as great on a rainy day.
I installed the system almost two years ago.
There are great rebates for these systems that vary from state to state.

IMG_0449.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Paul! I sent my Architect a whole packet on Solar Concepts this week. It looks my company here is going in Partner-ship with one of our suppliers to carry "Solar Packages" that are modular so you can start small and add as you can afford or need to.

We did a "quick" site survey and my land/house will be situated in such a manner that solar isn't really an option. Per our "Sub-division" bylaws solar panels can only be viewable by 25% from the main road and our house is facing directly S-SW which means the solar panels would be visible 100% from the road. Dang Nabbit!

It looks like we're going to get a site survey for WIND energy.Windspire(Blue Sun Renewable Energy) has a vertical Wind Turbine that just might work.

Man I'm thrilled to see how much you're saving! I'm going to use you as an example for others. This is perfect with yesterday being "Earth Day" :)

Last edited:

BobBursek

Big Al,
time to go to a subdivision meeting and tell them to get on the green wagon, and bring some politicians with you. How about a ground mounted system in the back yard? What do they say about a wind mill tower?

Paul B

Per our "Sub-division" bylaws solar panels can only be viewable by 25% from the main road and our house is facing directly S-SW which means the solar panels would be visible 100% from the road. Dang Nabbit!

Al, I would sue them over that one. I am sure there is a federal law somewhere that prohibits states, towns, villages or anyone else from prohibiting energy saving devices even if they are viewable from the street. I was ready to go at it with my village because they were also asking what it would look like from the street. I don't care if it looks like the Hoover Dam on my roof as long as it saves energy. But thats just me.
There is a law that prohibits municapalities from raising your real estate tax because you increased the property value by adding solar panels.
They also make solar shingles that look and act just like roof shingles but they don't generate as much power and I don't know the cost.

I think they look great.

000_0003.jpg

chops29

look good from where I'm sitting!! been looking into these as well. However, my house faces west so my roof line wouldn't be good for them but my garage on the other hand has a big ol'roof face due south. These new windturbines are pretty interesting as well. Here in Illinois their putting up large farms of them the large scale ones of course. Actually installed one farm 2 years ago with 260 units. Man, they are huge up close, ones we installed were 400 some ft. tall Each prop was 150ft. long. Their end plan is to put a whole stripe of them across Central Illinois.

BLAKEJOHN

Thats great paul. I saw your thread a while ago when you first posted and made the decision that when we build we will utilize as much solar energy as we can. We've decided to design the house around the tank and being able to install as much solar as we can afford. Being in the country, on 10 acres and zoned AG, I believe I can do just about anything I want.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Chops those "Windspire" are only 30' tall and "linkable".

I had to remove the link to their site because it's been hijacked and compromised with some less than desirable software installs.

Thanks for the heads up Chops :) I contacted them and their looking into it now.

Paul you're a HUGE inspiration. I spoke with a friend tonight and he just took his test for Geothermal Heat Unit installation (they own the local Well Drilling company). We're gonna seriously look into GEOTHERMAL heating & cooling.

Paul B

Being in the country, on 10 acres and zoned AG, I believe I can do just about anything I want.

If I had ten acres I would have a thousand panels instead of 22. They can provide a nice income.

We're gonna seriously look into GEOTHERMAL heating & cooling.

If I could do that, I would. Wind also, but I don't get much wind here. A friend of mine has a house on the coast and he is installing sloar and wind turbines.
I also want to get a totally electric car as soon as I can get a small American made SUV. I think in a few more years they will be selling these things all over the country. If they have a 100 mile range, thats fine. Here on Long Island 100 miles id perfect. 99% of my trips are under 10 miles and I will always have a gas car for longer trips.
Now I just need an electric boat. That is by far my largest expense.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've spoken with a couple of other friends in the building business and I am REALLY liking the GeoThermal Heat pump idea. In talking with people the only reason I can see to NOT go that route would be lack of room to drill the "loops".

I just found out that our power company is offering life-time 5% reduction in your power bill if it meets their (very easy) guidelines. EnergyStar Certification pretty much covers it.

Paul thank you so MUCH for you updates which are a HUGE motivation. :)

Paul B

Paul you're a HUGE inspiration.

Well not too huge, I lost some weight since I posted that.

Geothermal sounds great, we can't do that here in NY as we have two choices to hit when we drill, rock or seawater.
Wind also would not work here inland even though it is an Island but Long Island has over a 200 mile coastline and none of it is used for any type of energy conservation. The north shore is mostly private estates and the south shore is mostly public beaches.
The water on the south shore stays very shallow for a few miles out and I don't know why they don't utilize it for wind power, but here in NY everything would be tied up in red tape long after we run out of oil.

A perfect place for wind

IMG_0225.jpg

burning2nd

big ups on that m8,

ive switched all the lights we use the most to leds, and the rest are the effeient fluo's

droped me 25 bucks a month,

also plan on investing in wind tower, and panels