save on live rock using lava rock?

arthur

I am planning on using a refugium for most of my filtration. I am starting a new tank could i put some lava rocks in the main tank with the live rock, let it collect algae, bacteria, ect. then pile it all into a refugium? would the lava rock be harmful to the tank at all. i chose lava because it is highly porous.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello arthur and welcome to RS!

I can't remember why but I "vaguely" remember that there is some drawback to using Lava-Rock. I'll see if I can dig something up to substantiate that. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I just googled "Lave Rock+Reef Tank" and it's posted many times about due to varying compositions (you have no way of knowing what exactly is IN the Lava Rock) it's not worth the risk. Some people have no problem what-so-ever and others say they lost/crashed their entire tank.

I'm of the mind-set if you're not positive it's not worth the risk.

I have heard of heavy metals leaching form lava rock. Please it is easy for the channels to become clogged with dirt and detritus. It is better to use base or live rock.

aaromano

I have my doubts about the information provided in that link on Aquarium safe rocks. It states that if a rock reacts to muriatic acid it is not reef safe. Coral skeletons that make up live rock are nearly all Calcium Carbonate and would certainly react to a strong acid. I think the concern with lava is the possibility of heavy metal leaching which in a closed aquarium environment could be problematic. I'm not sure why this is more concern than with other rock as you really don't know the composition of any rock except for dead coral limestone . Even a some live rock or base rock could be from lava source couldn't it aren't many source islands like Tonga dead volcanoes?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have my doubts about the information provided in that link on Aquarium safe rocks. It states that if a rock reacts to muriatic acid it is not reef safe. Coral skeletons that make up live rock are nearly all Calcium Carbonate and would certainly react to a strong acid. I think the concern with lava is the possibility of heavy metal leaching which in a closed aquarium environment could be problematic. I'm not sure why this is more concern than with other rock as you really don't know the composition of any rock except for dead coral limestone . Even a some live rock or base rock could be from lava source couldn't it aren't many source islands like Tonga dead volcanoes?

I agree completely BUT . . .

you odds of getting "Bad" rock are much less with Base Rock or Live Rock than with Lava Rock. With Lava Rock you have VERY high odds of getting Heavy Metals. If you really think about it any rock "could" be bad for our tanks so it's always a gamble to some degree (I mean really...any rock could have been contaminated somewhere along the way ).

l3fty999

I agree completely BUT . . .

you odds of getting "Bad" rock are much less with Base Rock or Live Rock than with Lava Rock. With Lava Rock you have VERY high odds of getting Heavy Metals. If you really think about it any rock "could" be bad for our tanks so it's always a gamble to some degree (I mean really...any rock could have been contaminated somewhere along the way ).

I certainly agree with the concern for heavy metal contamination. Let's think about this: when you see pics of scientists around active volcanoes, they are often wearing some kind of mask to protect themselves from lots of different chemicals, and remember that the pores in volcanic rock are really pockets formed by bubbles of who-knows-what present in the rock as it cools. There could potentially be all kinds of poisons present, or maybe not. Kinda sounds like Russian Roulette if you use it. For this purpose, I will stick to rocks that come from an environment similar to my tank. At least that will lessen the chance of this kind of contamination.

Aaron

daddio

Lava rock has a much higher chance of containing heavy metals as the molten magma will melt and incorporate metals into its structure as it is formed. Base rock or live rock are much less likely as they are formed either from polyps or the compression of sea sand into rock. Even though lava rock is porous, the rock itself is very dense, almost like glass where base rock or live rock are much less dense overall... a softer rock.