Sand sifter

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's a small tank for many of the "Dedicated" sand sifters. I've got NAssarius Snails in ALL of my tanks even the small one. They do a GREAT job and aren't really relying on the micro-fauna in the sand itself to support their diet.

:thumber:

reefer4200

i agree with BigAl they will eat anything and dont rely on the fauna i don't believe. And they are great stirrers, i use them as well in every tank.

prow

i too like nassarius snails. but in a 20 gallon i would limit the number to 2 maybe 3 if you have lots of leftovers.
in addition to those, my personal fav, would be cerith snail. about 15 of them for a 20gallom. someother things are good too, but in a larger system, things like fighting conch snails or tiger tail cucumbers...
you can also a sandsifting goby.

plecosword

I was expecting more gobies then snails, I have 4 of those and a tiger wich is huge. They will eat stomatella snails if they catch them.

Better question, whats a good sandsifting fish, including gobies?

Jeremy0322

That size tank is going to limit what you can keep. I had a sand sifting goby (diamond goby) that ate mysis shrimp so you may be able to house one of those in your tank.

new reefer 03

jawfish arent sifters
i would get a
sand sifting star
diamond goby
nassarious snails
onyx nassarious snails
any of those, maybe a conch

Jeremy0322

jawfish arent sifters
i would get a
sand sifting star
diamond goby
nassarious snails
onyx nassarious snails
any of those, maybe a conch

Sand sifting star would get owned in a tank that size, not enough food for one to live, you need a much larger tank for that animal.

prow

i would not rely on a goby in your tank to keep the sand stirred. any that would do a good job stirring the sand dont really belong in a 20gal. watchmen type gobies only clean the sand around their homes. others like a sleeper gold head goby (Valencienna strigata) will make a real mess in such a small tank and cover all your rock and coral with sand daily. it aswell as gobies like a sleeper banded goby (Amblygobius phalaena) or two spot goby (Signigobius biocellatus) will quickly void the sand of funa in that size tank and any of these gobies would likey slowly starve.

however i do know of a goby that would fit in just right. that goby would be the greenbanded goby (Elacatinus multifasciatum). a small sand sifter and colorful too. they will fight with eachother(not too bad though, usually not to the death), so if you get more than one make it a few not just two, so any aggression get spread around..

Jeremy0322

I figured out the answer to all your problems. If you were to get a larger tank, then you would be able to keep lots of these things, which would result in a much prettier(and much larger) sand bed. :ponder2:

prow

green banded gobies do not sift sand... i have some in my tank.
i have had many and they do sift sand. unless the sand grain size is too big. they are also cleaners, in that, they pick parasites off their tankmates. not ture cleaners but none the less they are/do...

CATALYST

I have a diamond goby in my 24 that sifts like a maniac. I have seen him jump though...rescued in the nick of time, so put a lid on it. Mine jumped through the eggcrate. He does eat mysis with the other fish at feeding time. Make sure your rocks are stable because mine piles sand everywhere and the rocks shift.

Jess

My vote = diamond goby

I've had several in the past, and I have one now, not only does he do a great job, but he's super entertaining and easy to keep!!