SAND BED

Leo

Ok, New flash! , Trying to sell my RS 130 since I found the Red Sea Max 250, which, I realized would be better for the inner kid in me :)
Any suggestions on how much sand to start with. I had already bought 30 lbs of Aragonite live fiji pink, that was supposed to go in the RS 130. Would prefer a thinner sand bed just uncertain as to how many Lbs. to start with.
Thanks! ANd how do I start a thread showing progression like others here???

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Leo....First off....
:celebrate:I AM SOOO EXCITED FOR THE INNER KID IN YOU! :celebrate:
You are getting a great tank and I'm glad you didn't settle for less :D

Here's where you need to start your tank thread:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/red-sea-max-owners-club.180/

About your sand bed....I'm glad you asked.
I started out with the Figi Pink & it was too fine grained to stay in place with the power of the water circulation.
I fixed it by adding CaribSea Special Grade Seaflor mixed in with it.
And I wish I had of added more than I did because since then, it has gotten a lot shallower from removing algae, cayno & diatoms. So added enough to allow for losing some as your tank matures.

When will your tank be to you?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This is really good stuff:
image.jpg
I mixed in with the Figi Pink AFTER rinsing it well a little at a time in a 5gal bucket before putting it in the tank. Don't forget to rinse the sand unless you buy the wet bagged "live sand". You won't rinse the kind that is packed in water....cause you kill off the live part that you pay extra for.

eric w

I just bought both reef flakes and mini reef fakes and doing a 2 to 1 ratio mix of the two....