Sand bed calculator question

althea2you

OK.. i saw a chart somehwere and i cannot remember where.. some site that sold tanks... anyways.. it said for a 90g and a 3in. sand bed i would need 248 pounds of sand... i just did this calculator (scroll all the way down to find the sand bed calc.) here: Aquarium Calculator - Unit Conversion Tables

and this one said i only needed 148 pounds of sand to get 3 inches..... what? which is right? how do i figure out exactly how much sand i need to buy?

althea2you

that one tells me even less... these dont seem to be very accurate... anyone know what a 90 g should have in it for 3 in.?

BoomerD

Don't know for sure, and every sand type and grain size will be somewhat different, but when I set my 90 up several years ago, I used 200 lbs of Southdown and got a sandbed that was between 4 and 5" thick.

althea2you

Don't know for sure, and every sand type and grain size will be somewhat different, but when I set my 90 up several years ago, I used 200 lbs of Southdown and got a sandbed that was between 4 and 5" thick.

ok! thanks Boomer. i will go with 150 pounds of sand then....see where im at, if i want more i can add more! thanks!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Definitely go slow and don't put it all in at once. I did that and it's a PITA to get nice wet sand OUT!!

RyanG

I was always told that one pound per gal gets you two inches roughly so a pound and a half per gallon should get you approximately 3 inches.