Saltwater Tank Restart? Good or Not Good?

This is a Sub-Forum to my previous Forum

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lr-trouble-please-help-all-my-fish-dying.html

I think my tank has sometype of infection in it or it parasite or something that has been killing all the fish.:cry1:

So what i wanted to try and do is put my last fish into a smaller tank with a temporary filter on it.

While it is in there completely emptying my tank water rock, and sand

I wanted to put the rock and sand into some fresh water to kill anything that may be in it, yea it would kill good things too but it would kill anything that may be bad.

I am also going to get rid of my carpet anenome just in case he could be a cause.

Then i wanted to replace all my water again with new water.

Tell me your opinions on this idea or if you may have any other solutions.

smkndrgn142

If you really want to start over, go ahead. But you're ignoring some good advice you got in your other thread...do a 50% water change. If there's anything toxic in the water that should get rid of it. Or at least enough of it for the fish to be safe. DId you ever get new test kits, or have your LFS double check your readings? If your tank had a parasite, you would see signs...like how with Ich you get the little white spots. Your not describing anything that sounds like a parasite to me. It really sounds like a water quality issue to me.

DaveK

... Your not describing anything that sounds like a parasite to me. It really sounds like a water quality issue to me.

I agree. If you have a water quality issue, it's not going to go away by trying to kill everything. Such a step is useful only when really drastic action is needed. It's usually used as a last resort, when disease has killed out everything. This sort of action also requires a long rebuild of the bacteria base, so it will take a long time.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
If you really want to start over, go ahead. But you're ignoring some good advice you got in your other thread...do a 50% water change. If there's anything toxic in the water that should get rid of it. Or at least enough of it for the fish to be safe. DId you ever get new test kits, or have your LFS double check your readings? If your tank had a parasite, you would see signs...like how with Ich you get the little white spots. Your not describing anything that sounds like a parasite to me. It really sounds like a water quality issue to me.

Well put on the water change. Watch your levels close yet a large water change or a few smaller changes should be adequate.