Saltwater Beginner

ReefRage

Hey all,

I'm just getting into the swing of things with how to develop a salt water tank. I have talked to great friend about this topic and got a lot of information from him. He introduced me to this website and insisted I try it out for lots of questions/information.

With a lot of information given to me by him, about how to start up the tank and other great information. I thought my next step would be getting feed back from other amazing saltwater lovers.

My first question would be about corals and other varies living plants.

It was suggested to me that since I am a beginner I should look to introduce polyps, mushrooms, and soft corals because they are the heartiest. Would anyone have any suggestions on what types I should look to introduce?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Snails are great and the recommendation is about 1 per gallon.

Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites,Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos

You can start off with about 1/2 that amount and add more later.

Snid

Welcome Aboard, Matey!

When you add the snails, pay attention to their dietary needs. For example, Nassarius Snails are carnivorous, so they need some meat to eat. They are fun to watch when you add food to the tank they come out from hiding under the sand bed and roam around hunting down the food. I would strongly recommend a Mexican Turbo Snail, as they are great lawnmowers when it comes to Green Hair Algae (GHA).

My favorite member of my CUC right now is my Long Spined Sea Urchin. So fun to watch, and he cleans the rocks the better than any snail or slug that I own. Some people claim that they aren't good to have because they also eat the Coralline Algae, but I have yet to see the little guy eat much of that and it is growing faster than he is eating it. He much prefers the GHA.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Great advise ^

ReefRage

Thanks everyone this will certainly help. I am extremely excited to be starting a tank. Everything everyone suggested will definitely help me out with making a awesome tank. Pictures to come when everything is running.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello ReefRage :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary! :crowd:
Glad you found your way here....Please stick around and ask all the ???s you need :help: with.
Start a tank thread, that's the best thing you can do to get help as you go. :thumbup:
We love pictures so, show us your tank ;)
Very BEST WISHES :biker