Salt for fowlr system

Kaitydad

Trying to decide what salt to use in my fowler tank what is the best most cost effective salt. I don't want to waist money on expensive brands if they are geared more towards reef systems and not necessarily needed in a fowler tank.

DaveK

In my opinion, the SW in your tank is the lifeblood of your system. You need not go out and get a salt that is really geared to a reef system, but you do want to use a quality salt.

Regretfully, it is not possible to give you "the best most cost effective salt". This is for several reasons. First, in my opinion there has never been a study done on salts that does not contain a lot of flaws, and because of this can't give good results. You might find a few salts at the bottom of the heap you don't want to use, but the "best" is often very subjective.

There are also some personal factors that come into play. For example, if you have a 10 gal nano, you might as well use a high end salt. You will not save much of anything using a cheep salt. On the other hand, if you have a 250 gal tank, a partial water change is going to run through a lot of salt, and going to be costly. You'll need to make trade offs in price verses performance. Also consider how quickly you can get salt in an emergency. If possible, you want a salt your LFS has, and that they sell enough of it to keep the stock turned over. If you want to use a salt that you can only get online, make sure you have enough to make a 100% water change in an emergency.

NanaReefer

Instant Ocean IMO. Tried & true. Plus at Dr Fosters & Smith anything over 49.99 is delivered free to your home. Been getting my Reef Crystals this way for 5yrs :)

hummer41269

This is by far way better than io I mixed 50gal worth in a five gal bucket in minutes and clumps no residual oceanic is my choice

frisbee

For a FOWLR tank pretty much any of the salts on the market will work IMO. If I had to choose one though, I would go with IO as well. It's not too expensive, it's been around forever and it's real easy to find.

Last edited:

blazend

I use instant ocean for both type of tanks.

Regular instant ocean for both my fish only tanks.
Reef crystals for my reef tank.

I have tried Red sea coral pro, LFS own branded salt. I like Instant Oceans best.