Salt Dilemma?

Corvus

I don't have the exact numbers as they appear on the bucket in front of me at the moment, but it appears that the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix might cause an issue in my 40 breeder. I have figured out the proper amount of salt per gallon to mix in order to get a SG of 1.026, but according to what appears on the bucket it seems that amount of salt will also spike my alkalinity to somewhere above 12dKH. As I recall, the statement on the bucket states that this is the proper "mix" for a tank with SPS (I have an acro in my tank).

If any of you use this salt mix, check the bucket/package and you should see what I mean. Am I misreading things? Won't such a high alk level adversely affect an SPS? Should I forget salt water and take up knitting?

Seriously, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

C.

Choff

The 2 things I focus on with calc and alk is no rapid fluctuations and maintain the proper balance between the 2.

Alk levels of 12 will kill your corals if your tank went from 9 to 12 rapidly, but since you are doing a small percent WC the overall impact should not be that high. If you were doing a high percent WC then it would be important to match the parameters as closely as possible. Many of the calculators say to keep the max increase in dkh to 1.4 in a given day. I don't like over 1 (just a gut call, no science or experience behind this)

On a side note, I do know people that do not like RS coral pro for this very reason that their reef params are too exaggerated and use the regular salt instead and let their dosing handle rest.

...stupid auto correct

Corvus

Decisions, decisions. Thanks, Choff.

C.

PS Should I keep doing small waters changes? Two gallons per day? But won't that salt STILL give me an alk above 12?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Many members use Red Sea Coral Pro salt & love it, imo it's one of several great salts

Should I forget salt water and take up knitting?

;) don't forget sw, forget about worrying about any of the top brands of salt ;)

Good advise from Mike ^ on stability and swings... chasing #'s has lead to many problems, stability is key...

See what others think...

orieng

I changed my salt from Red Sea Coral Pro to Red Sea Salt due to high Alk. But Red Sea is one of the best salts around. You can use the Red Sea ( blue ) salt and start adding sps. One the sps start consuming a lot of Ca and Alk you can shift over to the RCP salt. There are also several other salts in the market and you can try something other if you like.