Salinity

Salinity

Votes: 6 9.2%

Votes: 6 9.2%

Votes: 35 53.8%

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
I run mine at 1.025 and never lower than 1.024. When you have a fish only system you are fine with running it at a lower salinity than 1.024 but dont go lower than 1.020 for fish only. With a reef tank you need a higher salinity with about 1.025. And since most of us are reefers, thats where we like to keep our salt levels at.

ishharris

Has been struck by the ban stick
I find what some of you are saying very interesting. I keep my fish only systems between 1.017 and 1.02. My reef tank is at 1.025 though. Now for the reasoning. I have 4 different hydrometers first of all, and they all read different, also my lfs always reads different when I have them test my water, they read a little higher. Now for why I keep mine so low. I have noticed that if you run your salinity a little lower it is harder for bacteria, algae, and all that bad stuff to grow. The tank in my bedroom reads constant at 1.017 or 1.018, and I have NEVER had any problems. My algae stays at the bare medium, it is definately cleaned way less than any others, just for a lack of algae growth. Also, it seams as if ick is much less prevalent at a lower salinity. My reef tank got ick recently, and I've lost almost every fish in it, but again the salinity is 1.025.

So, criticize me if you want and think what you want. it is working great for me, and my fish are perfect. Oh, and one last thing, my fish store keeps their salinity even lower than mine, 1.016.

michaellong

No critic here, but the key to success is to mimic the ocean and each individual need for all specemens that are in the contained ecosystem. When one has a diverse amount of fish and corals, that likely come from different parts of the world, a happy medium must be achieved. That is why some have very good luck with certain species. I am running 300 gallons , 2 refugiums, sump filter, uv steralizer, calcium reactor and hydor skimmer, Co2 injection, and all fed on the same system. I can get everything (accept candycane to grow) , bad luck - or am I a moron! ! ! I see them growing in fish stores - but ya remember , fish stores keep there specific gravity low mostly for resperation reasons and less stress. The steralizer is what kicks ich , but I was kind of hesitating in replying here, but every tank is likely to have ich. I doubt the fish came from water that was that low in gravity. Fish stores keep the fish for short periods in time, and the long run catches up. the question is the same. How do I mimc the ocean and why. The intake of minerals and trace elements , vitamins , etc, is set by the factor on how dense the water is. the secretion of the water through the gills of the fish in a higher specific gravity is much more beneficial to marine fish and organisms. Thus we get UV steralizers to purify that water (to eliminate ich, fungus, etc.), so we can push the amount of minerals (salt+elements) to replicate as best we can the natural ecosytem. Thats my thought. If it works for you that's good. Howeve, we do not know long term because what is long term? The eventual death of the fish. . . . . one day? Well, we again place our bets on the probability that replication to the parameters of the ocean is probable to enhance the lifespan of already stressed to some degree fish. . .. . . .. and coral. Just a thought

lcstorc

buy a refractometer that self adjusts and keep the specific gravity at 35.
You have already noticed that hydrometers are notoriously inconsistent. Part of this is temp change and part is lack of proper cleaning and storage. (Rinse thoroughly with fresh water and dry upside down.)
A refractometer is one of the most important tools for reefkeepers. It's not too expensive and they last forever (as long as you don't drop it on concrete like I did :) )