Salinity and other woes

thelastmucci

I have a quick but very important question to anyone that reads this. My salinity is currently at 1.27 and I'm wondering how to get it down to 1.23...I know a water change and adding RO water is necessary. However I'm not sure how much to drain and how much RO water to put in...it's a 39 gallon tank and I have appx. 36 gallons full. If anyone can help me I would be very appreciative.

bigbratt

Your still cycling the tank right? Just take out a few gallons and add RO water just as if your topping up. Why do you want salinity at 1.023 I think that it should be 1.025 - 1.026...at least I hope that's what it should be at ,thats what I run mine at.

glampka

Mooch - take a quart out at a time & replace with the RO water. Let it mix for a few minutes & retest. Keep doing this until you have it where you want it.

thelastmucci

thanks everyone....for all your ideas.

FATMAN: I used the calculator and it told me that I don't even need a full gallon, (and I was ready to put in about 5 gallons)

Gary...dead on as usual man.

Bigbratt: I would tend to think that 1.026 is a bit high IMHO. I wanted 1.023 b/c it was at the lower end of the spectrum but I'll try with 1.024 and see how that goes.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Bigbratt: I would tend to think that 1.026 is a bit high IMHO. I wanted 1.023 b/c it was at the lower end of the spectrum but I'll try with 1.024 and see how that goes.

That's about what I do.... I like to stay in the middle of the road.... incase I don't get to top-off 2x a day it doesn't creep up to ridiculous levels!!

goldenmean

You are just a tad high.
NSW is at 1.026 (as Kinghokus said above.)
I keep my reef at 1.026 but I do have an ATO so I do not have the worries that Big Al stated.