Ryan's RSM 250

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That is unfortunate that the skimmer did not work with the new stand.

Ryan,

Where were you setting your water level in the sump? The skimmer not working might be more to a water level difference in the sump.

RyanF

I have it between the 4th-5th line. With the new stand, it sits about 9 inches down. With the old stand, it's about 4-5 inches, which goes completely against what the documentation states for this skimmer. I still haven't been able to figure out where the microbubbles are coming from. It's starting to make a lot of sense why the original owner had still been using the black sponges on the tank. I'm sure that solved his microbubles problem, but I really have no real desire to use them.

RyanF

Today I decided to take the skimmer out and take it apart and put it back together again. I've been running it all day and the overflowing has stopped for now. I've been able to lower the collection cup enough to close the lid. I'm still having microbubbles, but I'm hoping they will go away as it continues to break in.

RyanF

Well, I've pretty much solved my microbubble problem. I had the surface skimmer grate up higher than the recommended which was causing the water to fall quite a bit down into the sump. With the water outlet of the skimmer coming out the side; the flow of water coming from the tank plus the water coming from the skimmer was the cause of my microbubbles. I still have a few, but nothing like what it was. As much as I didn't want to, I installed the black sponge on the heater side just to see if that would eliminate them completely. I've had to lower the cup so much that I may end up building a taller skimmer stand while still allowing me to close the lid. I might wait on that though, since I have zero bioload, so it just may have ran out of things to skim out. My ammonia has dropped to zero but I still have off the charts high nitrite. My nitrate level has started to rise so it should only be a few more weeks now before I can add my CUC. Getting excited now :)