RSMC250 fish in sump

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

My first thread....be nice to me!
Nice is what RS is all about :clownfish:

I don't see many post of fish in the back sump area of the RSM's I have had mine for ( a RSM 130D 1st & then a RSM 250) for 6 years now & never a jumper that made it back there...

Hopefully some members that have had this happen might have some ideas ! If you don't get an answer here in our Meet & Greet forum, be sure to ask... in the RSM Club here on RS

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/red-sea-max-owners-club.180/

Trinny

I would be interested too, I have had a Fire Hawk and Blenny jump in there. The Blenny was smart enough to go back and forth however the Fire Hawk no so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

I've had 2 fish jump in my sump in my C250. My Blenny and my Flame Hawkfish.

Both did it when I had the lid open doing a water change. I've never had one do it with the lid closed. I didn't even think it was possible.

And, wow, is it tough to get them out of the sump. Basically, I end up removing the hood and taking everything out of the sump to net them.

I hate it.

Trinny

It's terrible Pat, my tank is in a corner and only accessible from the front so it makes it very hard. Luckily the Blenny would make its way to the grill at feeding time and would swim back into the DT when the pumps are off and grill is off. Doesn't help I have about 40 marine pure balls in each side of the the sump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

You can get some plastic screen from quilting supply stores and hang from the lid, or make it fit into the overflow box standing up over the waterline an inch or so. I have some black plastic screen that my LFS stocks for exactly this reason.

Oxylebius

I had a blenny get back there once. There was someone on here that did use some sort of plastic screen that attached to the hood and would come down into the main tank area and would block the back area from the front area. I will do some searching and see if I can track it down. @StirCrayzy Josh's suggestion sounds like it would work also.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glad you got it sorted ! If it helps, most of us with RSM 250s don't run the black sponges :clink: if you do run them, cleaning them regularly is a good idea.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They create nitrates if not cleaned regular - in my 130D I ran them (the course black sponge) for 2 years (pulled, taken to sink, rinsed under warm running tap water, shaken dry & replaced - twice a week), when I switched to my RSM 250 I watched several members tanks that didn't run them & had great success, so I tried it without them & it's worked well.

imo (in my option) there no one "right" answer here ... if you clean them regularly

Rini

Here we started with the sponges as well. After some reading what other people do i did remove them. Now I clean the pumps every 3 months and the sump area where the 2 pumps remain. Since there come much more dirt on the pumps and on bottom of the sump now without the sponges. To be honest I'm thinking to add them again.