RSM250 running to hot

not to mention the cost of an chiller here in denmark a chiller would cost me, around 700-800 dollars (4000 DKK), and that is not what i expected when i bought the rsm.

MatthewJ

yeah, that would be quite a shock. Does Red Sea provide some guidance as to what the room temp should be before a chiller is required?

Matte54

The Manual says that a chiller might be required if ur room temp is higher then 26-27 or something if i remember correct, or if u live in a "warmer climate" and Denmark and Sweden isent really what i would picture as a "warmer climate"

I have run the tank now with the skimmer of for about 24 hours and with auxillery fans on and my tank is down to 25 degrees i might have to say that i strongly suspect the skimmer pump on my end.

But all the pumps seems to generate alot of heat im going to run both circulation pumps in buckets during next week, and im gonna talk to my dealer and demand a new pump for the skimmer.
Maybe he can get in contact with RedSea couse i sure can't.

Best Regards Mathias

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Blackbox100 - I was thinking while doing my waterchanges - I think you've identified the heat problem, but running the pumps in 20 liters of water isn't quite the same as 250 liters. But, it does appear after running the skimmer off that that the skimmer pump may be the biggest contributor generating excess heat, with all 3 pumps generating even more.

yes i know that i isnt just a comparable, but since both circulation pump 1 and the skimmer pump are exactly the same pump, we now have 2 identical pumps that generate heat + the circulation pump 2 , that also is producing over heat.

i have also tried turning the skimmer pump off, and that gave me a temp of about 27-28 degrees in the tank, but then what, i cant keep running without the skimmer pump?

anyway, thanks for the good ideas, i hope that steve or neil will get back to me soon.

sincerely

Carsten Larsen

here is the reply from neil, what an excellent response service they have.

"

Dear Carsten,

We have been following the thread on the forum and I was planning on writing to you today.

We are now running some experiments on the 3 pumps we use in the MAX to see how we can identify if a pump is running hotter that it should.

We have spoken to Hydor about this issue and they have told us that these pumps will heat up a bucket of water by approx 10 degrees C.

We have confirmed this ourselves today with an initial experiment however we will be running some additional testing before reaching any conclusions.
The skimmer pump and circulation pump have the same effect in terms of the heating ability.

We know that under normal circumstances the MAX will hold a steady 3 – 4 C above the ambient due to all of the heat inputs. It is my estimation that 2 – 3 C comes from the pumps.
If one pump can head approx 20 liters by 10 C then it is reasonable to assume that it will add less than 1 C to 250 liters of water when considering the large surface area for the heat dissipation.
Agitation of the water surface and the air intake of the skimmer greatly increase the cooling effect on the water.

Please accept that there is no issue regarding the labeling of the pumps. We use the same pump body for a number of different applications each of which result in different flow rates and watt ratings for the pump. The difference between the various models is created by using different plastic impellor blades on the magnetic shaft. This pump when used as a regular flow pump with a standard pump impellor is rated at 2400 lph. It is rated much lower when used as a skimmer pump due to the air that is mixed with the water.
Both Hydor and ourselves have developed skimmer pumps based on the motor of regular flow pumps. This is also the same for many other pumps used for skimmers.

The only other possible cause for the overheating is the direct effect of your house heating or room ventilation on the aquarium. Without seeing your room I cannot guess what is happening. What type of heating do you have? Is the room door closed during the day or night? Please check the air temperature at various points around the aquarium and let me know what you discover.

I am sure that eventually we will find the cause and solve the problem.

Regards

Neil

"

Matte54

Well its defenetly the pumps that are faulty in some way, my room temperature is very cold right ive tured down almost all the heater elements its below 22 now in the tank room, even colder at night.

when i turned off one circulation pump and the skimmer the temp drops to below 25 in matter of hours.
when i either one of the others on it goes back up very quickly

If i run 1 circulation pump and the skimmer , with auxillery fans running
my tank keeps an acceptable temperature , but if i turn off fans or turn on the remaining pump its 30 degrees easy.

Best Regards Mathias

brucewrs

well,I am buying a chiller for my 250....The temp fluctuates too much.I am buying an Aqua Euro USA 1/4 HP Chiller.Anyone ever use one of these or heard about them?Thanks

Matte54

i have spent way to mutch money on this tank to be forced to buy a chiller for this tank when the manual clearly says i dont have to, ive been talking to the swedish importer, and they have a dialgue with Red Sea.

They are looking into it.

yes, i agree with you matte

would hate to have to use a chiller, primarily because of the cost in electricity to run such a thing, and the buying cost of that.

also as stated in the manual, it should be necessary, so lets wait and see what rsm finds out

sincerely

Carsten Larsen

brucewrs

I live in Florida where there are alot of power outages(hurricanes)..I do have a generator but not a full house one.So it does get hot without power.At least I can plug the chiller into the generator..Too much money to lose with a reef tank set up..

Matte54

Im still waiting for feedback from Redsea or my dealer, i havent run the skimmer now for almost a week , and with extra fans on it keeps 27-28 but if i turn off the fans it goes over 30.

And this with skimmer off, cant be only the skimmer pump i think its all the pumps, some sort of watts problem or something , we need new pumps.
i hope this can be solved before my tank has cycled.

gianluca

Hi to all,
I'm Gianluca from Rome.
I'm waiting my new rsm 250 for next week but I'm worried about the temperature problem of this tank.
I 'm thinking to cancel my order and to buy another tank.
I'm displeased about and I hope that the Red Sea team can take the engagement to change the pumps or to resolve the problem in other way.

Please sorry for my english :p

hi matte

i´m also 100% sure, that is all the pumps that are generating the overheat, the thing i cant figure out, is why some users dont have the problem, with the same ambient temperature as we have, and why we have the problem, maybe it´s a scandinavian problem only :yup:

let´s see what rsm finds out, and share our findings

sincerely

Carsten Larsen
Denmark

rimini

Hi,

This is Peter from Næstved - Denmark. Got my RSM 250 yesterday. It has been running for almost 20 hours now and there is not a sign of overheat yet, temperature is 21,5 in the livingroom where its located and watertemperature has been 24,5 until 25,1 degress until now.

I will post later if there is any news.

For backup I have bought a Boyo chiller 75, its around 250 Euro, affordable. This is currently not switched on, just to make sure its not all who have this problem.

I will post back asap.

Best,

Peter

hi peter, that sounds good

please let us know what happens with the temp in the following days, because this might help us, to figure out what is wrong with our tanks?

when you mounted the pumps, did you notice what was printed on the labels on the pumps?

sincerely

Carsten Larsen
Danmark

rimini

Hi again,

Didnt notice the label on the pumps unfortunately. By the way, have U tryed to put a Tunze Nanostream in the aquarium to break the surface ?

How far from the wall is the aquarium located ?

PS: Watertemp has still not raised over 25.4 ...

PPS: Skriver også lige lidt på saltvandsforum nu ;-) Problemet skal sgu kunne lykkedes ...

Best,

Peter

Matte54

im planing on buying a Tunze nanostream to get some more circulation going but right now it's not really a priority since it will probly increase my already steaming tank temperature.

i checked earlier today at about 5am, with the lights off ,skimmer off and auxillery fans on, 28.5degrees :(

i plan on e-mailing my dealer and push them a little tomorrow.

Best regards

Mathias
Sweden