RSM250 running to hot

hi all

just got my RSM 250 yesterday (the first in denmark), and all is fine, except the temperature

my room temperature is around 22 degrees, but then temp in the rsm250 is around 29.9 degrees, i have the optional coolers running, so all the coolers in the hood is running, but still cant get the temp down.

in the manual it says, that if the room temp is below 24 degrees, you should not use the extra cooling, but i cant even keep the temp down with the extra cooling added?

does anybody has the same experience, i realize that the rsm250 is new, and not many people may have one standing, but i hope that anyone can help me anyway, as my fish and corals are getting very hot in this water.

sincerely

Carsten Larsen
Denmark

mrfishy

hi carsten
if you go onto reefsuk there is a guy on there called NightFox.
he was one of the first to have the 250 in europe, drop him an email or read his reveiw on the tank . he did a great thread on the new surface skimmer for the 130 so i am sure his experience on the 250 will help you
hope this helps
cheers
drew

steveh

Hi Carsten, the temperature you are experiencing is not normal at all. The Max 250 generally runs fine without a chiller. I have sent you a PM with my details and will look forward to hearing from you. We can then work out where the problem lies and resolve it for you. There are now lots of M250's out there and they run at a nice steady temperature.

hello all

sad to inform that i still have problems with the temperature, even though both neil and steve from rsm, has been great in trying to help

room temp is still about 22 degrees, but after 9 hours of light in the tank, the tank temp is close to 30 degrees.

we have tried to change the skimmer pump, with no luck, and i have tried to run the tank with each pump off at one day at the time, but no luck, can anyone confirm that their rsm 250 is running cool, without a chiller?

sincerely
Carsten Larsen

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
This may be a dumb question, but are you sure the thermometer is giving you an accurate reading? I've had some digital thermometers that have been way off. When I'm in doubt I now use a glass laboratory grade mercury thermometer to check the accuracy of my other thermometers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
jjohnson - I think you're correct. I know they're banned in my company's labs. The one I'm using use to be the standard we used in the lab I used to manage. I found it stashed away, and forgotten, so I gave it a new home - mine!

There are other glass lab grade thermometers - possibly alcohol filled these days?

Funny - we used to play with liquid mercury, before it was considered so toxic. I can't remember if the pure mercury is highly toxic or just the oxide?

jjohnson3

Hahaha! My parents remember playing with mercury as well! I am still a high schooler so I never got the chance to play with it. Its probably a good thing too because I do love to experiment to say the least lol.

TheEdge

blackbox - I've had my RSM 250 up for 6 days now. I set the heater on 80 degrees and thats what the temp in the tank was the first 2-3 days, but since then it has climbed to 83 degrees (28 celcius) despite my turning the heater down to 75 degrees). This morning I was very surprised to see the water temp still at 83 degrees despite the room temp being 65 degrees all night! I have not been running the lights either. This has me very concerned. Before leaving for work I turned the heater off completely. The room temp will be in the mid 60's all day. If the tank is still at 80 degrees or above then I think I have a big problem. I will let you know tonight when I get home from work.

Matte54

Hi,

I have been browsing the web for days looking for people with the same problem as me.

i live in sweden and its in the middle of winter atleast 5-10 below 0 every day.
my room temperature is a steady 22 degrees celcius

and still my RSM 250 keeps atleast 28 degrees during the day and gets even warmer at night for some reason ive seen it up to 30 degrees.
With summer coming up its no doubt my room temperature will climb towards 26-27 ATLEAST.

If i dont get this sorted out i will have fish soup.

I have tried running each pump by itself makes no diffrence , the heater i have removed completly couse its obviously not necessary to use.
Its seems like atleast all the heat is coming from the backcompartment possibly the skimmer, couse when you open the skimmer hatch u can feel the hot air in your face, wich you dont with the normal tank lid.

I have e-mailed Red Sea about the issue but still havent gotten any reply.
So you are defently not alone Carsten.

Best Regards

Mathias Andersson / Stockholm-Sweden

chip46

I was having trouble with my 130d getting to warm. Turned down the house heat more and flipped open the first section of the tank hood. Day time was over 80 now it has been at 78.5. With the lid open more heat gets out of the tank faster.

Matte54

Well that kinda ruins the point of the aquarium , to run it with the lid open.
i bought this for alot of money i want it to be working properly easy as that.

jjohnson3

Have ya'll tried calling customer service? If he doesn't reply after a few days I would call. Obviously something is faulty in the system that is causing it to get hot...

jjohnson3

Thats when you pick up the phone and dial the number to redsea. Here it is 1-800-REDSEA9(1-800-733-7329). Thats the number you can call to contact redsea directly.

mzreenie

I have the RSM 130D and my heater did the same thing. I would turn it down to 75, and it would not come on for days, but then once it did come on, it would heat the tank way up over 80 degrees. I finally bought another heater (not RSM) and the new heater cycles off and on as it should, and I maintain a temp of 79.3 to 80.1 (even when the lights have been all day, it does not exceed 80.1). The RSM heater just seemed to get stuck in the ON position and made me a nervous wreck. LOL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Matte54 is in Sweden - I doubt the 800 number would work from there.

mzreenie - I wonder if that's the cause of overheating with some of the 250s?