RSM130 with Tunze 9001 -Skimmer help required

LeeG

Hello, Im after a bit of assistance if possible.
Tank is a RedSeaMax 130D, the RSM Filter & Skimmer sections have been removed and replaced with a Media rack & Tunze 9001 skimmer.

Filter media is as follows top to bottom:
Section 1: Course & Fine filter fibre filters to remove larger contaminants.
Section 2: Seachem Purigen
Section 3: Sachem Matrix 250

Tanks been up and running with live rock for around a week and the clean up crew have been stocked.

The bit Im struggling with is the set up of the Tunze skimmer. Last night I tweaked it again so that it was producing a frothing foam within the neck of the removable skimmer cup but not overflowing. Today there is a very small amount of water in the cup and the froth has died back.

Im wondering it Ive set it up correctly.
Instructions reference three options (Contact foam skimming & standard skimming & Surface skimming). Mine is set up out of the box so is Contact foam skimming.

So Im wondering if I have the unit set up properly or should be using a different configuration and also if the Course & Fine filter media are also causing problems.

Others who use this unit in a back of box tank can you advise which otption you are using and also any tips to get it set up. The videos on line aren't really helping much.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Lee

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lee hopefully some 9001 owners can advise...

One huge key to any skimmer is consistent water levels on a 130D are you topping off daily something like around one litter

LeeG

Interesting point Nano. Havent really noticed any visible drop in water level and the tank is running at 27-28c.
Ive have done a 50% water change but not topped up so that might be something to look at just. Unfortunately the 130d water gauge is on the wrong side of the tank to see it so im going to have to rig up something in the back compartment to monitor.
I was wondering if the skimmer set up could have something to do with it as it has 3 options.