RSM return pump question

Msigler

Hi there. The water level in my display is slowly rising and I believe it is because my stock return pumps just cant keep up with the return pump in the sump any more. I have had a lifereef sump since after christmas last year and when I first in stalled the sump the flow was perfect. Now I am having to close the gate valve little by little because the water level in the display keeps rising. The overflow isnt clogged so I dont know what else it could be. I have read that some people swap out these pumps and I wonder if this makes the flow better. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Mike

steved13

PREMIUM
If the stock return pump was slowing down...wouldn't that cause the level in the back to rise and the display to fall? I have a 250 so maybe i'm confused, not being familiar with the 130?

My guess would be the overflow box has slowed for some reason. Maybe the hose has a new bend in it?

Msigler

Both the front and back are too high. Almost the same level if not exactly the same. No bends in the hose either... I am stumped.

steved13

PREMIUM
If we're talking about the pumps I have in mind they just circulate, and won't really change the level in the tank. Think of it this way...if you didn't have a sump what would those pumps do then,,,the sump doesn't really change the circulation pumps function. I don't see how they would change the water level.

It has to be in the "outflow" to the sump being lower or the "inflow" from the sump being greater. Is your return pump adjustable, and maybe inreasing without your knowledge? Possible air accumulation casuing a blockage in the siphon box line?

Front and back being the same, I'd still lean towards the siphon box flow has reduced for some reason...assuming your siphon box is in a rear compartment.

Here is a test to try. If you add water to the sump does the sump level rise and stay there, or does it rise and then fall and the tank level rises? If the tank level rises, you know it has to be the return pump is stronger then your siphon box flow.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Mike - what's the water level in the inner box of the siphon? It should be lower than the level in the back compartment. My DT level will rise if that inner box level gets too high. It was once caused by algae growth in the siphon u-tube. When I first set up I think my return pump was too many gph so I replaced it with a lower gph pump.

Sometimes when my DT level rises, and I see the level in the inner siphon box is full I can fix that by turning off the return pump for a minute and restarting it, and it returns to normal (about 2 inches lower than the level in the back RSM compartment. I'm not sure why this happens - I just know it "fixes" things.

Just some ideas.