RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

MrsPeer

Arreola - If you need to glue the ricordea I recommend using epoxy with with ic-gel. Put glue on the area of the rock/plug, then the epoxy, then the glue and finally the coral frag.

Here's a picture of the material. I got the picture from a reefer who posted on the "other" forum.

epoxy1.jpg

MrsPeer

Arreola - Try to chip off a piece of the rock which the ric's base is attached to... That way instead of trying to force the ric to attach to a diff place on its own, you can just glue the chip of rock.

That's a good idea. This is when a dremel comes in handy.

Arreola

MrsPeer - I will try to take the Ric with a small piece of rock, and try to find a good place for it.
If needed I do have some Epoxi and CA glue.

Thank you
Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Laurent - sounds like you made some real progress. IMO taking the sponges & ceramic media out of the cannister will hopefully reduce nitrate production and reduce the nutrients that the pest algae needs to grow. Hopefully you'll be able to get by with a weekly water change to keep things under control, and not so much extra maintenance. I've seen the English pdf version of the Max 250 brochure but I think I saved the file on my work PC. I just saw the Max 250 advertised in Aquarium Fish International magazine, but I still don't see the 250 on the Red Sea website. I'm guessing it will be released in this area soon.

Arreola - if it was me I'd just leave the Ricordea where it is. Rics and mushrooms can move, and I'd expect it to move to a higher light spot on its own. They move very slowly, but can move. I once had one move from under a rock to the top - it took several weeks but they can move. If you want to move it quicker follow the above good advice from other RSM owners.

Arreola

Reefmack - The only thing I do not like about that Ric is that its completle closed.

I will leave the Rics Alone for a couple of weeks and then see If I have to do something.

Arreola

tyleratl

I've noticed that my RSM's water temperature runs about a degree cooler when the skimmer is turned off. Does everyone else experience the same thing, or is my skimmer pump running hot?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
tyleratl - The RSM skimmer pump is a large pump, and I'm guessing it could raise the the temp a degree, especially based on what you're seeing.

tyleratl

Yeah, I'm clearly blaming a degree on the skimmer pump. My temp was at 82 degrees when the lights went off tonight. I wonder if my skimmer pump is running warmer than normal.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yeah, I'm clearly blaming a degree on the skimmer pump. My temp was at 82 degrees when the lights went off tonight. I wonder if my skimmer pump is running warmer than normal.

It's a PITA but have you pulled the pump off lately to see if anything is plugged up, or if the impeller is fouled up? You should be able to do that without unplugging it if you raise up the skimmer and pull the pump out of it. A messy job, but better than including a trip into the dreaded power center. Just don't drop the impeller cover or the impeller into the skimmer chamber.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
No, I haven't touched that skimmer since day 1. Maybe I should pull it out and clean it. What a PITA!

If you pull it completely out, and clean the skimmer body too, you might be surprised what you see in that thing. I had tube worms and tiny limpets, etc. growing on the sides of mine, and the same when I periodically clean out my Remora skimmer. It's almost like having a micro-CUC inside the skimmer body.

Arreola

Reefmack & tyleratl - I cleen all the Pumps once a month including the Koralia 2 and The Skimmer Pump.
It takes about 20 minutes to take out the pumps, cleen them and reinstall.
I do this at the same time I do the 20 L. wather change.

BTW. This morning the Xenia was in the bottom. Probably some time during the night a snail or the Bleny drop it from the rock.

It was too close to the glass and I took the chance to take a pic :bigbounce

XeniaSept212008.jpg

My "declining" RSM...

This picture was taken in February. This is quite possibly when my RSM was at its best.

2877303800_c5231f9792_o.png

This was taken today... after a week of battling pest algae and cleaning... :(

2877303802_457b45f66a_o.png

Done this weekend:

- Replaced all filter media, cleaned canister.
- Replaced pumps
- "Turkey-balsted" rocks
- Water changes.

What else could I try?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Laurent - Ill have to admit it looked better in February. Maybe it just needs time now to recover. It looks like the Xenia prefers to be up high on the back wall! The only "what else could I try?" I can offer is to get a small Foxface - not the best choice as they will get too big, and they have poisonous spines that you have to be wary of, but it was my "last choice" several months ago when Bryopsis algae was taking over my tank. In a bit over a week the algae was all gone. I have a feeling I'd have given up on this hobby months ago if it weren't for the Foxface. But, wait & see for a week or two if things improve with all of the work you've recently done. One other option may be to pick up some chaeto macroalgae and a clear plastic suction cup soap holder from a place like Target, and grow chaeto in it to take up whatever nutrients is keeping the pest algae fed.

ReefLady

Staff member
Just wanted to let you guys know that it has been a pleasure hosting your club here on RS, and I have now created a subforum for your group, so you can post different topics/threads as this one no doubt is getting a bit tough to manage. :)

Enjoy!

T

MrsPeer

Laurent - Beautiful tank, especially in February. What is your TDS reading? Some times, it could just be the RO/DI water that is the culprit in bringing nutrients to your tank and all it takes is replacing the filter cartridges and resin.

Just when it has become a routine for me to go to the Nano reef forum, it moves to another place. I'm glad that this thread has become a popular choice though.

Mrs Peers: Thanks. Tap water is at 30 tds and my ro/di unit delivers a good zero tds. I replaced all filters in June after 11 months of service. I think I have been always "safe" on that side. The February picture is actually what made me realize the scope of the "damage". Decline has been very slow but the picture comparison shows clearly that all my mushrooms colonies have severely declined and both Candy Canes are in bad shape. Even the "easy" green star polyps are looking bad! :( On the positive side, the toadstool is doing well and the Xenia are growing like crazy.

Reefmack: I do not think I will get a Foxface but I will research other hardy vegetarian fishes able to stand their ground against the yellow coris and the stripped damsel. If the tank was bigger, I would get a yellow tang...

In other news: Got a brand new Salifert NO3 test: Absolute zero on that front.

Thanks Travis for the new forum.